1958 Packard Hawk Barn find

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Tdarmo

1958 Packard Hawk Barn find

Post by Tdarmo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:32 am

Hi
First post. Came across an early serial numbered Packard Hawk recently my question is did the first one's off the assembly line use Studebaker deck lids. I figured it was replaced at one point with the easier to find Studebaker part.

Howard56

Re: 1958 Packard Hawk Barn find

Post by Howard56 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:21 am

Its unfortunate you haven't had any response to your question but it appears there are not that many Hawk experts around on this forum. I know very little about them so am of no help. Since the 57-8 models are essentially Studebakers with a Packard name and bits of trim have you tried asking your question on the Studebaker forum or perhaps at http://www.packardinfo.com. I know at packardinfo there are a few 57-58 Packard owners who might be up on how early models were trimmed.

My memory could be faulty but believe there have been some articles written on the 58 Packard Hawks where it mentions during design the car was thought to have been a personal one off car for Roy Hurley of Curtis-Wright who was managing the company at the time. It was apparently not known or was at least a surprise to some of the designers that the car was ordered to be put into production. Perhaps if the story is true there could have been a shortage of parts and they did what they had to do in order to get it out the door. Almost everything for Packard in 58 was done on a shoestring trying to keep the name alive and to fulfill contract obligations with dealers. The majority of the little money they had was going into development of the Lark as a means of keeping the company alive. Wasn't the false spare tire cover or overlay the only distinguishing part of the lid?

5682-4775

Re: 1958 Packard Hawk Barn find

Post by 5682-4775 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:53 am

Hi

All '58 Packard Hawks used the '53-'55 C & K body trunk lid tooling rather than the style that began with the '56 Studebaker Hawk which is squared up with the ribbed panel. It was done to differentiate the two models, allow the mounting of the 'continental' spare applique on the lid. The sloped trunk lid surface was in better styling thematic accord with the long sloped hood and grille frame.

Steve