request help to evaluate my Packards

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
flyingcollie

request help to evaluate my Packards

Post by flyingcollie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:00 pm

Over years, I have acquired the following Packards: a 1922 model 126, a 1937 Su8 1500, a 1940 model 180 limousine, and a 1948 model 2262 sedan. In my current situation I have neither time, money nor energy to "support" this fleet, and I would really like to see them placed with new caretakers who will appreciate them. All are "problem children". The 126 is a restoration in progress of a car which had the body destroyed. I have the cowl, and a couple of sedan doors . . . the chassis restoration is near complete, new tires, engine rebuilt. Other than the body, it is a complete car.

The '37 is an original car which has been maintained. Original interior, and paint on body and hood, fenders have been touched up. As an "original" it would probably rate 70 points. Alas, a severe windstorm last June caused a huge poplar tree to fall on our garage, resulting in damage to the left rear quarter of the top. Impact also damaged rear suspension, she has a "port list".

The '40 is a wrecking yard derelict I rescued back in '64. it is rough, but over years we acquired enough replacement parts to restore it, including a whole safety-flex front axle assy, sidemount covers, front fenders, and some engine parts including a NOS set of Wilcox-Rich hydraulic lifters.

The '48 was a frame-off restoration completed in 1990, the car was used as our daily driver for many years. It has been in dry storage for 15 years after an engine "freshening" which included stainless valves and stellite seats for exhaust and a professional rebuild of the R-11 overdrive.

Hopefully this isn't too long of a post, and I hope members will offer some constructive comments, I really have no idea of values - any help will be most appreciated.

Adam

Re: request help to evaluate my Packards

Post by Adam » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:12 am

Welcome to the forum!! That is an impressive fleet!

What a shame the Super 8 was damaged by that tree.

I am sure you will be able to find new homes for all of your cars, but I have no idea as to values etc. I am sure someone else will be along soon who can give you better information.

Kind regards
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

RogerDetroit

Post by RogerDetroit » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello Flying Collie:

Go here http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1958/Packard and just change the year and model.

Hope this helps.
1941 Packard 160 Convertible Sedan
1941 Packard 120 Business Coupe
1968 AMX - Dick Teague designed

BDC-TX

Post by BDC-TX » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:01 am

I wouldn't go by nada guide, cause there are not enough cars in that database to give a real reflection on the price. For example a 1936 120 business coupe has a high retail of $56,000. The real nice ones bring a hair over $30,000. The NADA guide is great when you're trying to determine what a 69 mustang is worth but not a prewar Packard. I think the best way to establish a value on the cars is having an appraiser come in, and that will give you some guidelines when it comes to values. After that you can put them up for sale on the Packard club website and in the printed "Cormorant", the Packardinfo website, hemmings, AACA website, craigslist, ebay etc. I hope this helps.

flyingcollie

Post by flyingcollie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Thank you both for the replies . . . BDC-TX, how would I go about finding a qualified appraiser ? This sounds like the better route, being a PAC member years back, there are a number of members whose opinions I would respect in terms of setting values. I have no wish to "make money" - I would like to see these cars go to new care-takers who will "do right" by them. I think the best way to do that is to price them fairly and realistically on the low end so that a real Packard Person can get into them.

dak955

Post by dak955 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:17 am

Flyingcollie....one resource to find appraisers is through Hemmings Motor News magazine......if you do not receive the magazine, you can usually find the latest copy in book stores etc.....there are appraisers listed under the services offered section.....good luck...