clock repair

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
joel stern

clock repair

Post by joel stern » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a clock for my 1939 Packard and another for my 1949 Plymouth. Neither one works.

Can someone lead me in the right direction to send them out for repair?

Thank you,

Joel Stern

Au Packard

Re: clock repair

Post by Au Packard » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:26 am

I have restored 3 Packards of the 1920's and I had each of the clocks in those repaired by well recommended experts. They worked fine on the bench but once installed in a running car they stopped and have not run for any length of time since. I will be interested in replies to your question to see if this is typical of the experiences of others - hopefully not

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Instrument Services Inc. (http://www.clocksandgauges.com) in Illinois restored the clock in my '54 Convertible back in 2006 and it still keeps perfect time today. They converted the clock to a quartz movement, which is an invisible modification inside the clock case. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone needing clock and gauge repairs.

DrMorbius

Post by DrMorbius » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:01 am

Second thumbs up for Instrument Services Inc. My '54 Caribbean still keeps great time since 1996 when I had the conversion to quartz.

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:26 am

I have a 47 Packard with the usual non working clock. I would like to have it run, but I think I may be wasting my time and money by having it repaired. I know it could be converted to Quartz, but I like to keep things original when it is sensible to try to do so. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:55 am

Those clocks weren't particularly long-lived but I've managed to get the Borg electric clock on my '56 to keep going for the last 10 years or so. All I did was remove it, clean the dust from it, a drop or two of VERY light oil in a few places, and dress the contact points on the winder mechanism with a small burnishing strip. Many others report success doing the same thing, and it's not a lot of effort so really, you don't have much to loose by giving it a try.

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:49 am

Thanks for the reply. As you say there is not much to lose, so I will give it a whirl. The car is not at home at the moment, but will be soon. I will let you know how it went.

JoeSantana

Post by JoeSantana » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:26 am

Jerry will take good care of you at Clock Works. They do conversions, too, but . . .
http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html
My '40 Borg went elsewhere and had to be sent back, and it still didn't run reliably.
It runs beautifully now.