41 clipper

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
packuk

41 clipper

Post by packuk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 am

Hi

I have totally renewed the interior of my 41 clipper sedan. The only thing that lets it down is the glove box liner which has collapsed, it seems to made of compressed cardboard type material. It is the glove box with clock in lid.
Do you know if any one replicates this type of thing, or a contact for a used item

Regards from the uk

Ozstatman

Re: 41 clipper

Post by Ozstatman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Available on US eBay for Clippers. But...... they are all for LHD drive cars. Is yours LHD or RHD?
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

packuk

Post by packuk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi
Mine is left hand drive will try and look on eBay USA
Thanks

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 am

Even though the insert is very light, it is large and bulky. I have no idea how much the freight or postage from the USA would be for a large shipping box to contain and ship the insert without risk of crushing but imagine it would be quite a bit -- if a US vendor would even ship to the UK. It may be more cost effective to make your own using cardboard from an art supply store.

There are several types of cardboard but some used for matting around photographs is about the right thickness and some used for architectural models is also good. No idea what the surface in your box is like but perhaps embossed. My 47 Custom had flocking so I didn't need to try and find any kind of suitable embossed surface cardboard material and could cover the surface using flock instead. If you have any of your old box intact you can cut open the staples to lay the box flat. Once the box is flat you can get an idea of any missing portions and draw them in to get a pattern of the entire box. Once you have a pattern it is just a matter of locating the bend points then folding and stapling again.

Since I didn't have a stapler that could reach a couple of places to hold it in finished shape I elected to use hot glue for those spots. The box is well hidden behind the dash and inserted under metal surfaces around the door opening so none of the glue is seen. If you didn't want to use glue you could probably use something like pop rivets instead of staples keeping the smooth finished side of the rivet toward the inside of the box. Just be sure the rivets are not under any areas where the cardboard is in the middle between the metal finished places. The 4 new screw mounts on the side and bottom are just ordinary speed nuts or Tinneman nuts also glued in. Flocking can be done before or after folding or, if you can find a decent embossed cardboard, not done at all. I personally like the more finished look of the flocking and would use it on all but that is a matter of preference.
Attachments
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2247.jpg
IMG_2248.jpg
IMG_2249.jpg

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 am

I bought a reproduction for my '49. Looked like it was made from light weight panel board that I get from an upholstery supply firm. Tan on one side and black on the other. Didn't look like it would be too difficult to make your own with a good pattern.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

packuk

Post by packuk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:06 am

Hi
I have been on eBay USA and ordered a repro. It’s on the way. I think mine is beyond a reasonable repair
Thanks for your advice and help on this matter.