MA Safety Inspection

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
H.E. PennyPackard

MA Safety Inspection

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Hello All,

As I am getting Penny in more and more working order, I’m anxiously approaching the new since 2018 Massachusetts Safety Inspection (including the new cameras that fail rust spots and many small details). Has anyone here gone through this here with their Packard/other antique vehicle? I think many folks with modded vehicles face the biggest challenges (emissions, ride height, and other new restrictions depending on definition) but I am worried that I’m going to hit problems with a car that is a work in progress.

Adam

Re: MA Safety Inspection

Post by Adam » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 am

Is there are tester`s manual available? That should tell you the items that are in the test and the failure criteria.

Vehicles here older than 40 years are no longer subject to annual roadworthiness testing (unless voluntary), but the MOT testers manual is available for anyone to read.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Registration as a "historic" vehicle doesn't exempt you from such requirements in MA? Here in NJ we are exempted from inspections and license plates are a one-time fee, no renewal fees required.

H.E. PennyPackard

Post by H.E. PennyPackard » Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 am

In Mass all vehicles have an annual safety inspection, older vehicles and antiques are only exempt from emissions testing.

auggiedoggie21

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:08 am

I go to a garage in Winthrop Beach where we lived for many years and the tech only checks the headlights, tail lights, turn signals, wipers and horn on my '47 Super 8. Once in a while he will grab both front wheels and check for excessive play (front end is perfect), but nothing else is required according to him and he takes less than 10 minutes. No emissions testing, obviously!
1947 2106 Super Clipper