Newbie needs help with part numbers to sell parts

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Gibbus

Newbie needs help with part numbers to sell parts

Post by Gibbus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm

1st time to post. I don't own a Packard, and know very little about them. However, I just had several hundred Packard and Studebaker parts fall in my lap. My best guess is that I am going to SLOWLY list them on EBAY. Maybe I can sell them here...... Like I said, I am a newbie. My question is this : even though a lot of the parts have numbers stamped on them, or written on them, they are not showing up on Google as even existing. Is there a place here or anywhere on the internet where I can identify the parts I have? Hard to sell when I don't know what I have, and I certainly don't want to misrepresent what I am offering. Thx in advance for any help and Thx in advance for any criticism. Here goes nuthin....

Howard56

Re: Newbie needs help with part numbers to sell parts

Post by Howard56 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:04 pm

If you are not familiar with Packard or Stude and don't know parts or the numbering system it will be tedious and a challenge and since both were around for a long time there are lots of numbers to be challenged with.

If they are factory part numbers, on Packards you could go to www.packardinfo.com and download a specific section of each parts manual. Manuals for 35-57 are available but a major manual for 30s senior models and one for some 42 models is missing. Of those present, in each manual there is a section with a title of either numerical, index, or numerical index. You could find the factory number listed in that section and it will tell you the group number associated with it. The rest of the parts books are oriented around those group numbers and are the major categories shown in various sections. For example, brakes are generally group 01, bumpers group 02, transmissions, group 03, electrical group 04, engines group 05 and so on (but there are some gotchas). You would find the group numbers associated with the part numbers you have courtesy of the index and then you could download only the sections you need. Once you have the sections drill down to find the group number and the application for the specific part number you have. Like I said, clear as mud and almost as much fun as having your teeth drilled.

Stude did something similar but their numbers are for the most part, longer. I don't know if there is a site to find the various Stude parts manuals but maybe someone else can point you toward one if they are available on the web.
Last edited by Howard56 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Welcome!

The Packard and Studebaker parts books list the part numbers and applications. However, depending on the vintages of your parts that could be a dozen or more books. Reprints of the books are readily available and some of the Packard books are online free at www.packardinfo.com. its going to be a major job identifying the parts. Feel free to post some pictures here and whatever numbers you have and ask for help with identification.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 am

As an alternative, if you just want to get rid of the parts, is to offer them to the various parts vendors, who might make you an offer to take them as a single lot.

Just a thought.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Gibbus

Post by Gibbus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:48 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me.