Pedal Start Issue

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
jks954

Pedal Start Issue

Post by jks954 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 am

My 52 200 Deluxe slowly developed a start issue. One out of 10 starts, the pedal wouldn't activate the starter; absolutely nothing when the pedal was depressed. Then it became more frequent. Sometimes I would press down....nothing happening....leave my foot on the pedal, and boom....it would turn over. Ignition switch seems ok; will start if I jump the starter/solenoid ends or even the carbureter switch (both which are new), battery is fine. Now she sits in the garage and won't start at all with the pedal.

I don't know enough about the schematics of how the pedal switch activates the starter....someone had suggested a faulty transmission safety switch but ruled it out due to the carb/starter jump worked......thanks for any ideas!!

Howard56

Re: Pedal Start Issue

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:06 am

I don't know if you have a thread at Packard info but if not, there is a poster with the same problem on that forum. The latest suggestion on that thread is to disconnect the linkage at the carb and then rotate the linkage piece at the carb shaft and see if the switch activates reliably. If it does, it could be something to do with the linkage. Maybe linkage has been bent or somehow moved out of spec.

If the car starts reliably with just moving the mechanism at the carb then I would concentrate on looking for a loose adjustment point, wear, broken or loose brackets, a bent accelerator pedal, something under the pedal such as bunched up carpet, and if you have the Ultramatic, something in the throttle linkage going down to the transmission that could be blocking motion or even some bent linkage rather than concentrating more on an electrical issue.

jks954

Re: Pedal Start Issue

Post by jks954 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:34 pm

That might be more than I know, but definitely the direction I should go! Now to find someone in Indianapolis to check it out! Thanks for that info!