53 cavalier just won't fire

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Dave Czirr

Re: 53 cavalier just won't fire

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:38 am

Yes, of course you'd hear or feel the compression before you reached the timing point, you'd experience it as soon as the piston turned upward with both valves closed. Yes, continue the rotation to the timing mark (you should continue to feel compression) and then check the rotor position.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:09 am

Ok. Felt compression, went to 6 degrees BTDC. checked the pointer in the distributor, and it was lined up with the #1 plug. Checked battery voltage, it is at 6.20.

Should i try to turn it over now?

Also, removing the plugs didn't make a difference on how hard it was to turn by hand. I saw somewhere online that I can pour a small amount of motor oil in each plug hole to re lube the internals. Is this ok? I've never heard of that before

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:35 am

OK, you've confirmed the distributor is properly installed. So given fuel, air, compression and spark, the motor should be capable to starting.

Mind-boggling that the engine is just as hard to turn over with the plugs removed!!! I"ll have to think on this but it doesn't bode well.

6.2 volts for a well-charged 6-volt lead/acid battery is LOW, it should be more like 6.4 - 6.6

Adding a little oil thru the plug holes can't hurt, if the rings and badly worn it will boost the compression momentarily.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:46 am

thank you Dave. I will place the battery on charge before attempting to start again.

I will do a very minimal amount of oil in the plug holes, hoping this will assist on the next start attempt.

I believe my next step, if she doesn't start, will be to remove the head and have a look inside. Maybe a bad ring could have to do with the difficulty of turns?

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 am

Coach,

You may want to invest in an endoscope. I paid $20 for a blue tooth one on that 4 letter word that starts with e and ends in y. Harbor Freight used to have them too.

That way you can look thru the spark plug holes and see the bores without the time and expense of r and r'ing the head and buying a new gasket.

When you were turning it by hand did you notice any spots that had more resistance? Need to go thru 2 revolutions

Bill

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 am

Did 2 revolutions.

Some spots were slightly more difficult to turn at then others.

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 am

Here is the bore scope
Attachments
Bore scope,.jpg

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 am

I might have to get one of those. That looks very cool.....and useful.

So, we've made progress!! The motor is cranking faster. And a few times she rotated even faster as if she was trying to start. Unfortunately, the battery isn't holding the juice I need to continuously crank. So, its back on charge. It was at 6.37 volt when I began cranking. After a few good tries, the battery was at 6.05.

We're almost there guys. Soooo close

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:17 pm

SHE STARTED!!!

Smokey as heck. I had to turn her off because she's in the garage, which is part of my house haha. Oh well, smells beautiful to me. I will start her and let her run tomorrow. And, give any further update of performance/ behavior while running.

At any rate, I owe all of you many thanks, and many beers. You have no idea how appreciative I am, and how grateful I am, to have learned so much about my old lady in the garage

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:26 am

She started again. This is way more fun haha. I let her get up to temp and run for 15 min. Most of the smoke has dissipated. Still a little from the tailpipe. Not a cloud or anything though.

There is a slight popping sound coming from the tailpipe once in a while. A slight misfire sound if you will. Dare I adjust the distributor where seals to the block? Obviously, I have play. But, how perfect am I really going to get this ol girl.

Also, there is a strange, faint high pitch wining. I can't even tell where its coming from. Its more prominent when I stand behind the engine next to the driver door. The wining revs up and down. More annoying than anything really.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how she's running.

More thoughts to dial her in are always appreciated. Or, I'll just drive her as is.