53 cavalier just won't fire

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Adam

Re: 53 cavalier just won't fire

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:29 am

Hurrah !! So glad that it is running again.

It would definitely benefit from being set up properly. I hope you do not think this impertinent, but I would recommend this book:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haynes-Automob ... 1850100055

I have a copy and use it as a sort of revision, when I cannot remember my dynamo tests and such like. It is easy to follow and will tell you all about setting the timing correctly etc.

By the way. the woofing sound you heard at the exhaust is most likely an exhaust valve which is not sealing properly. Very common on these old engines. Sometimes it is because of wear and sometimes lack of use (rusty valve seats). Some regular use with modern fuel and even a fuel system cleaner added often improves things. It is not worth worrying about unless it gets really bad, when it would show up on a compression test too.

The other whining noise is a mystery. I would be suspicious of an excessively tight fan belt, or a dry bearing in the water pump or dynamo. But difficult to diagnose from here!

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am

Hi Adam. I have used those books for other vehicles. Very useful material. Thank you for the link.

You may be spot on with the woofing. Ill try a fuel treatment. Otherwise, ill try to ignore it.

As for the other sound, it is strange. I cannot locate by ear. Sounds almost like a misproperly grounded stereo. High pitched annoyance.

Anyway, thank you again. I'm excited to have her running. Now I can properly winterize her and put her away for the next few months. Suspension and break work in the spring.

Navy Packard fan

Post by Navy Packard fan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:02 am

To all - really appreciate the great, detailed technical insights, I've bookmarked this conversation if I ever have similar issues with my '51 300 touring sedan!

Cheers
BPS

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:39 am

Coach J,

Congrats on getting her going, in spite of all the directions all of us had you going in. Just a shame to see you now have to put it up.

Bill

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi Bill,

I appreciate each and every direction we went it. I learned a TON about this car. And, now everything will be tip top for the spring time.

Also, I started her and let her warm up again today. She is purring like a kitten. Sounds amazing. Smoking is gone. Some minor noises. But, she's over 60 years old. I think it just adds character haha.

Thank you again. All of you.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:37 pm

I know I need a new manifold gasket. I can see small amounts of smoke seeping from the top of the gasket, right next to the top of the block. However, I am also seeing moisture where the gasket is leaking. Appears to be engine oil??

My question is.....would this be common from a failing gasket? Or, am I possibly looking at a bigger issue inside the motor?

I start her every few days. She is away for the winter and this work won't happen until spring. But, I world like to plan out what I'll need for whatever work will need to be done.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:46 pm

Picture showing the seepage and its location?

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:01 am

Please email me so I can respond with a photo. It is saying my image is too large to upload.

mcoach55@gmail.com

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:09 am

Just reduce the photo file size, lot's of programs that can do that.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:28 am

please see photo
Attachments
20210102_102600.jpg
Block manifold