53 cavalier just won't fire

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Coach Js

53 cavalier just won't fire

Post by Coach Js » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:18 pm

Good afternoon everyone. My 53 cavalier cranks but refuses to turn over. I have had the starter rebuilt. New 2 gauge positive battery wire to the starter. Cleaned all connections on the starter and carburetor. Cleaned the starter switch on the carburetor. That is now working like new. Carburetor lookes like its in perfect running order. And, the battery has been properly test and is good.

The car was starting without issue a month ago and I was driving her once a week, at least. Now, she tries to start but cranks slowly and never actually starts. Please let me know what I need to do next.

Dave Czirr

Re: 53 cavalier just won't fire

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm

There could be any number of issues but what pops out to me are your battery cables. Assuming the vehicle is still in the original 6-volt, 2-gauge is very undersized - you want 0-gauge at the least, 00 preferred.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:19 pm

The new 2 gauge I just put on is even bigger than what was on there. And it use to start with no problem. Its just cranking so slow. Almost like something is sticking. It was working fine. Then out of nowhere.....this is happening.

What other issues come to mind? I will look into a 0 gauge.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Check the ground connections at the engine block and at the starter. Free of paint, grease and oil, rust? Also note advanced ignition timing can inhibit engine cranking. Have what method did you use to check the battery? Checking electrolyte specific gravity with a battery hydrometer is the old, traditional method and still perhaps the most informative.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 pm

Thank you. I will thoroughly check all of the ground connections. Oil/dirt may be part of the issue at the block ground. I cleaned all of the starter connections pretty well, but will double check. Then I will look at ignition timing. I will update you as soon as I check it.

Bluedevil

Post by Bluedevil » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:33 am

Do you have spark? If no, condenser?

Have you been able to start it post starter rebuild?

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:01 am

It has not started post starter rebuild. It is cranking. I can check for spark and condenser.

I did clean all connections this morning. And changed the negative cable. Also, the belt was extremely tight. So I removed that all together. When the car is cranking, there is an awful squeak coming from the main front pully wheel. There seems to be a great restriction on the motor somewhere as its trying to turn over. It cranks very very slowly. Plugs are all new, just so you know for more reference. I'm just at a loss right now.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:26 am

Good Morning...You might wish to just take a second battery and connect it with jumper cables to your current battery and then see if she fires up. Sometimes batteries test ok but just don't have the power they once did...We were working on Prudence a few years ago and she did start turning over slowly and not starting...adding the second battery fired her right up...we put in a new Optima Battery and have been fine for several years now. I wonder if the squeak is coming from your generator? Two other thoughts...Dave is correct, you DO need 00 battery cables...the cable and terminals are normally available at NAPA...The other thought is that the only other change seems to be the rebuilt starter...I wonder if it is not happy and is pulling more current than it should...if that is happening, then there is not enough current left for a good hot spark...A little Holly Water on the radiator can't hurt!...Ernie in Arizona ;)

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:32 am

You might be on to something with the battery. Another good suggestion. The squeak is not the generator. I took the belt right off on the last attempt. And, still got the squeak and very slow crank

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:27 am

New plugs today. Didn't make a difference. But, the old ones were very dirty and only had about 200 miles (max) on them.

Had my son try to start it for me so I could listen under the hood. Sounds like the squeak may be from the area of the starter, or on the rear of the block itself. Not the front of the engine like I originally stated. Hope its a stupid simple fix. It was just running so good a month ago.