1923 Horn Button

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
PALaJoie

1923 Horn Button

Post by PALaJoie » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 am

Hello all. I am at a point where I just can't figure it out. The horn button on the steering wheel is connected to a long fabric covered wire that runs through the steering column into the steering box and out the bottom after passing through an insulator of some kind. I am going on an assumption that the horn button comes free of the steering wheel some how (I have already pulled the spark and throttle control levers from their tubes and they are hanging there waiting for me to disconnect the horn button from the wire). Any help getting this off would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to cut the wire at this point ()
Thanks a bunch
Pippo

Bluedevil

Re: 1923 Horn Button

Post by Bluedevil » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:18 am

Pippo,

I do not know the specifics of your car, but often the horn button is attached to a tube that goes to the bottom of the steering box.

There is usually some kind of compression fitting that holds the tube rigid at the bottom where the wire exits which allows the steering wheel to turn while the horn button remains stationary.

The fitting also prevents oil from leaking out of the box.

Here are some samples of the horn tube.
Horn rods.jpg
I would look for some sort of nut or clamp where the wire exits the tube and the steering box.

Alternately there may be a bottom plate with a tube that encapsulates the horn rod and keeps the oil from escaping.

Here is a Ross box with that setup. This one has a screw in clamp at the bottom.
Ross box end.jpg