1947 packard super clipper 8

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
1050max

1947 packard super clipper 8

Post by 1050max » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:04 am

good morning my name is steve i am trying to find out what this part is for and where i can get one my contact info is nmaxwell@bellsouth.net or 561-574-0732 ty for ur help
packard5.jpg
Attachments
631660958 (1).jpg
631660958.jpg

Howard56

Re: 1947 packard super clipper 8

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 am

The first photo appears to be the solenoid that controls vacuum flow into the optional postwar version of the Electromatic clutch control valve which is the item pictured in the second and third photos. The Electromatic provided automatic engagement and disengagement of the clutch and could be somewhat adjusted to accommodate various driving or speed conditions.

A different and considerably more complex unit was introduced with the 41 models. The postwar unit was simpler and much more refined. Instead of relying on the accelerator position plus multiple solenoids to modify engagement depending on gear selection as the prewar unit needed, the postwar unit was controlled mostly by the accelerator position with a small amount of electrical interaction operating the single solenoid valve you have pictured to turn on and off vacuum admitted to the valve.

As the cars aged the EC units did get out of adjustment or need parts. Packard stopped offering the option on most models during the 23rd series 49-50 cars after the introduction of the Ultramatic transmission. Lack of familiarity with operation by service personnel or lack of parts availability after Packard went away or just a lack of owners wanting to spend money to have it repaired condemned a lot of the units to an early retirement. With a non functional unit, as other things on the car needed servicing, if a non functioning EC component was in the way it was often removed and not replaced.

The solenoids appear on ebay from time to time and some of the Packard vendors may have NOS units. You might try Kanter Auto, Max Merritt, or Joel Ray at Patrician Industries. Kanter and Max both have websites, Joel has an ebay store and posts as packards1. Finding a complete valve assy or other parts will more than likely be from someone with an intact parts car and there are other items that go with the valve which also need to be present for it to be functional. You can download a training manual on the system from www.packardinfo.com to get an idea of operation and any other parts needed. There are pre and postwar manuals on the site and the one for the postwar version is entitled Clutch and Electromatic Clutch.

1050max

Post by 1050max » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:28 pm

hello is there anyway to get around having this if i needed to

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:01 pm

Sure. It was an option and even on cars so equipped and still functional there is an on/off switch on the dash. Turn the EC off and the car acted like an ordinary car without the option if the driver did not like the automatic action or want to use it in a certain situation. Another driver might like it so he could turn it back on and have automatic clutch control.

For a system not working or with parts missing then just disconnect the vacuum tube going to the control valve and plug the vacuum port on the manifold below the carb to prevent any leaks. On the electrical portion make sure the fuse is pulled or wires disconnected and taped off to prevent any shorts. You can remove the valve from the bracket bolted to the head if you wanted but you will need to keep the bracket and the rest of the linkage more or less intact unless you find a parts car without the option but with the identical engine. Cars without the option used a different set of linkage rods and brackets.

1050max

Post by 1050max » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:13 pm

i am so glad you are helping me. two more question for you lol. one where is the switch i do not think it is labeled. and my reverse gear will not engage all the way into gear if you jack the car up off the ground and put it in reverse it will spin slightly but when you sit the car back down it stops i do not think it is locking all the way into gear what should I look for

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:45 pm

The EC switch should be in the center cluster of switches and is usually on the left side -- but that location is not a given. Depending on how fully the car was optioned there could be another switch on the left and the EC could be on the right. For the 46-47 21st series models it is labeled ELECTROMATIC and knob is pulled out to turn the system off.

If the car has EC it probably also has overdrive and for the reverse issue it sounds as if there could be an issue with the overdrive or at least the reverse lockout portion of the OD. If stock the car will have the R9 overdrive and those have a sliding sleeve that needs to move internally to lock part of the OD planetary system together before it allows a shift into reverse. If the lube is gummy or if a mechanical issue or damage prevents the sleeve from moving into position a rod coming from the transmission is prevented from moving which in turn prevents the reverse gear from being engaged. Make sure the lockout knob below the dash to the right of the steering column is pulled all the way out so the OD is mechanically locked out and then see if you still have the reverse issue. If it now goes into reverse you will need to investigate the OD. If not then look for gearshift linkage issues or damage in the transmission.

I mentioned stock because R9s were prone to a lockup issue and damage if for any reason the unit electrically stayed in OD and reverse was selected and power applied. Packard had some service bulletins on the issue and even offered a kit to change earlier models to the later R11 ODs on cars where this problem had become an issue. You can tell which OD you have by looking at the OD electrical relay in the engine compt. R9 relays are in a fairly large square black box with 6 terminals that is mounted on the firewall below and to the left of the voltage regulator while the R11s use a smaller most often natural zinc color metal box with 4 terminals and a fuse on the side.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 pm

One more thing to check for the reverse issue is the gearshift linkage at the bottom of the shift tube that are located next to the steering column and box. The two levers are the ones first operated by the driver as he moves the shift lever and need to be able to freely rotate independently on the shift tube. The bottom lever closest to the steering box is for R-1 and the upper is for 2-3. Both levers could be dry as that is an area usually not routinely lubricated since it was not called out in Packards lube recommendations.

R-1 lever has the benefit of being on the bottom and somewhat protected but the upper lever is subject to any moisture or condensation that might have condensed and run down the tube and into the space between the lever and tube. Sometimes that lever has rust and corrosion filling the space to the point it sticks or even completely seizes to the tube. If it is not free to rotate, even though the bottom lever is the one the gearshift has selected to shift into reverse, a sticking top lever will try to follow along and move its linkage too. The interlock inside the transmission will not allow both to move at the same time and since the geometry makes 2-3 move a tiny bit faster than R-1 the internal interlock could be managing to block the reverse gear selection.

To rule out that as an issue, make sure lever is rotating and then use a thin screwdriver to move the lever down away from the upper lock clip and washer a tiny amount just enough to open a thin space where you can add a few drops of oil to the upper end of the lever and have it flow between the lever and tube instead of applying it above and being caught on the clip and washer. There is also a small diameter hole on the shift tube near the levers. You may find it positioned on the side and out of view depending on gear selected. Also add a few drops in that hole to catch the inner rod and select tongue as well as drip out in the space around the lower lever. Once all is free just remember to add a few drops of oil periodically.

1050max

Post by 1050max » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:26 am

good morning ty for all the awesome information on the issue i am having can u tell me what the cable does the hooks to the reverse fork for please

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:23 am

A photo would be helpful to see the cable and exactly what area you are referring to. If you mean a wire rope type cable most cars only have the emergency brake cables. On cars with the EC option, there is a short length of wire rope which is attached to a rod extending out of the EC power cylinder, goes around a pulley attached to an extension on the clutch relay arm or pivot assy, and is then anchored to a bracket clamped around the starter motor. The power cylinder diaphragm is operated by vacuum controlled by the EC valve. As the diaphragm moves in the power cylinder the attached cable pulls the relay arm to work the clutch.

Here is a photo out of the EC training manual showing most of the EC components and the cable just described. If you are referring to another cable or area, I have no information to share without seeing it.
Attachments
EC.jpg

Certol

Post by Certol » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks for the detailed description, I learned a lot of interesting things for myself.