53 Cavalier weather stripping

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Coach Js

53 Cavalier weather stripping

Post by Coach Js » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 am

When I purchased my Packard there was no weather stripping on any of the doors. However, the previous owner did have 2 rolls of it and gave those to me with the sale of the car. But, they are 2 different sizes, and I can't find detailed pictures on the internet of how it should look once installed.

Do the front and rear doors call for different size (thickness) weather stripping??

Can someone please post detailed pictures of what the weather stripping looks like around their doors??

I do know the proper procedure for installation. I just don't want to install it wrong and have to redo it.

Thank you

Coach Js

Re: 53 Cavalier weather stripping

Post by Coach Js » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 am

20210113_102351.jpg
Weather stripping
Here are the 2 sizes I have. Each size would be enough to do 2 doors.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 am

Go to Steele's website and if the following link does not work put your car information in the search fields. https://www.steelerubber.com/search?yea ... door-sedan On the page that comes up for a 53 300 4 door sedan there are some door weatherstrip packages. Click on one of the door selections and another page has part numbers for the various pieces as well as an installation instruction PDF. Clicking on the part number for the individual weatherstrips brings up a page with dimensions while the PDF shows a general illustration of where the weatherstrip fits on the door.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 am

Thank you. This was of some help. I don't understand why he would have purchased 2 different sizes. It seems as though the smaller size would work better on the doors. I just don't want to put the larger one on the rear doors and have them not close properly. All 4 doors close very well right now.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:56 pm

20210114_155055.jpg
Pic 1
20210114_155026.jpg
Pic 2
Which position looks correct. Pic 1 or Pic 2.

Don Shields

Post by Don Shields » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Coach Js,
Attached are photos of the weatherstripping on.my 1954 Convertible. This work was done prior to my ownership. They work and are holding up very well. The door weatherstrip measures about half an inch in height and depth. The trunk weatherstrip is larger at about three quarters of an inch. That may be why you have two different sizes. I hope this is helpful for you.
20210113_221249_compress94.jpg
20210113_221702_compress48.jpg
20210113_222037_compress50.jpg

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:24 am

Thanks Don. I appreciate the pictures. They were helpful.

I'm just gonna go for it. I will install them in a way that looks like they will be most effective. No matter what I do, it will be better than no weather stripping at all haha. Which is how the car is currently.

After this I tackle a small hole in the drivers floor pan. Then on to the wipers. Im sure ill have a thread about wipers. Considering there are no lines hooked up.....and I don't even know how to turn them on haha.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm

The wiper vacuum line starts at a fitting on the intake manifold below the carb. If the car has power brakes its hose and check valve also starts there. For the wipers, a 1/4" steel tubing goes downward and bends forward behind the exhaust pipe and ends near the fuel pump. I believe by 53 it has a short length of hose that then connects to the OUTPUT fitting on the top vacuum portion of the pump. Another short length of hose connects to the INPUT fitting and then joins another length of 1/4 tubing which clamps to the block just above the main oil gallery. That tubing runs the length of the block and at the rear of the engine bends up a few inches where another length of hose connects to the tubing port on the passenger side of the wiper motor. On earlier cars there were no hoses needed at the pump because the metal tube was a hard connection to fittings on the pump.

The fuel pump vacuum section for all practical purposes is just an inline pass thru for manifold vacuum since the stronger manifold vacuum keeps the valve arrangement in the pump open letting the large supply of manifold vacuum operate the wipers almost all the time. The pump comes into play when the engine is under a load or accelerator is wide open. In that instance, manifold vacuum is weak or nonexistent so the valves in the pump can close and do their thing letting the pump provide a smaller amount of vacuum which is enough to keep the wipers moving at a slower speed.

To turn the wiper motor on, there is a knob on the left side of the steering column. Turning it toward the driver will start the motor. If you have the optional windshield washer, its vacuum supply is connected to the port on the drivers side of the wiper motor. Turning the same knob toward the dash against a spring and holding it for a few seconds will allow vacuum to enter the pump and charge it with water. Turning the knob back toward the driver will let the water discharge and continued turning of the knob will start the wipers and regulate their speed.

There is every probability your wiper motor is in need of a rebuild. Most are after a period of time so do not be too disappointed if you hook the vacuum up and they are slow or even refuse to move thru a complete sweep. Ficken Wiper Service https://rebuildingtricowipers.com can rebuild the motor and make the wipers work as new.
Last edited by Howard56 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:25 am

Wow. Amazing info. Thank you very much. Ill let you know over the next few weeks how this turns out.

Coach Js

Post by Coach Js » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:53 am

2 quick questions.
How do you attach this to the underside of the hood? Am I missing pieces?

Which side is left visible, facing downward? The vinyl or the burlap side.

Thank you as always.
20210126_094942.jpg
Hood liner