Start collecting pre-war Packards? Car collector family from Belgium

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
LloydTrevor

Start collecting pre-war Packards? Car collector family from Belgium

Post by LloydTrevor » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Dear All,
Good evening,

My name is Lloyd and I am the youngest member of a (small) family of car collectors living in Belgium. The family's collection has been started by my grandfather and his brother-in-law in the sixties and it consists of mostly European cars. We all share a profound interest and passion for unusual and beautiful, striking vehicles. My father has restored a couple of vintage American cars with our dear friend that lived for 40 years down the street, who sadly passed away some ten years ago. It is in fact because of our late friend that we got introduced to the splendour of pre-war American cars.

In our opinion the epitome of all motorcars ever built are the stunning American cars of the 1920's and 1930's. Of those, we are especially fond of the open-top Packard Eights from 1928 to 1931. It seems that -as to be expected- most of these cars and the people involved with them are living in the U.S. since most Packards have stayed there and many people have been cherishing them ever since they were built. We see so many shows and meetings happening there, so many experts and parts available. If it weren't for COVID-19, we have always planned to go to the U.S. to get involved in the world of pre-war American cars. But still, there appear to be chapters of the Packard Club everywhere in the world.

We would love to get into contact with Packard enthusiast all around the world in order to understand more about them and to start searching for one to add to our collection. From the knowledge that we have up until now, we would love to find a Sport Phaeton -to our understanding rather rare- with the straight eight engine in a colour combination of our liking. In our research on internet we found out that there are so many different bodies, chassis lengths, original accessories etc.

As a first question, we would like to understand more about the 1928 to 1931 Eight models in terms of their technical aspects (or common issues) and the differences between all variations. Which are more interesting to buy (and drive!) and what are realistic, honest prices?

Secondly, where should we be looking for cars like these? It seems to us that in contrast to post-war cars, these cars are not easily found on the typical websites? We prefer to find cars from private sellers, in order to understand as much as possible about their history, possible flaws etc. Should we switch more to auctions in order to find one?

We look forward to joining the world of Packards, especially since these cars appear to have wonderfully enthusiastic caretakers. People who adore their beautiful vehicles.

We would like to thank all of you Packard devotees in advance, and we hope to get to know many of you!

Kind Regards,

Lloyd and family
Belgium