Advice on purchase needed

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Choirboy

Advice on purchase needed

Post by Choirboy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:10 am

Hello! I am considering purchasing a V8 Packard that will be a family cruiser and hopefully someday be a tug for a vintage camper. I'm in the rust belt so have been searching drier climes as I hate working on rusty cars. I've come across this ad on Facebook marketplace and would like some expert opinions on whether it looks legit or a scam. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner
What I'm mostly worried about is someone stealing photos from a past sale and setting up a fake sale, so if these photos look familiar to anyone please let me know. The seller claims it to be a one owner car, though it isn't clear whether he is that owner or is selling it on behalf of the owner (father? uncle?).
I know the motor/trans swap would be a turn off for most but it is a non-issue for me. Since my eventual plans involve a vintage camper the ultramatic would have had to be swapped out anyway. I wasn't necessarily thinking of swapping out the Packard engine but what is done is done and this would certainly fit my needs/desires.

Dave Czirr

Re: Advice on purchase needed

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:40 am

Whether "legit" or not (and I haven't a clue), I'd be reluctant to consider a car where the seller doesn't even bother to clear the debris off it, give it a quick wipe-down or cleaning, and take more informative photographs. Based on what I can see, I think it's overpriced by about half. Be patient and shop around, you can do better.

Choirboy

Re: Advice on purchase needed

Post by Choirboy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:10 am

I've been looking on and off for a couple of years and never seem to find 56 400s or Patricians, heck even Executive coupes that are complete and low rust for less than this. Am I just looking in the wrong places? Every time I see a 56 advertised it is either nice and $8k+ or rusted to pieces and $2500. Any advise would be appreciated.