Just looked at a 1950 4-Door Packard today HELP!

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
genehouse

Just looked at a 1950 4-Door Packard today HELP!

Post by genehouse » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new here and thought I'd come here to see if I could get some idea about a supposed 1950 straight 8 Packard I looked at today. I say supposed because I know absolutely nothing about the Packard car but would like to learn. The owner thinks it is a Super Deluxe. I've never restored a Packard before and have not thought about it but have admired the Packard cars from afar, so to speak. The one I looked at today is in a warehouse and covered with years of dust and surface rust but the sheet metal felt solid all the way around. I couldn't get into the car because the doors were blocked on both sides but the steering wheel was solid and the center piece looked good. The interior looked pretty good also. I could find nothing more than a couple of small dents in the entire exterior sheet metal.
There is major in the rocker panels so they will need replacing. The grill is also missing but the owner says the Swan hood ornament is at his house. According to him the motor has been rebuilt but I could see no evidence of that due to the lack of good light. There did seem to be some newer parts but I should have thought of a flashlight I guess.
There is a bracket for a side view mirror on the left fender. There are a lot of parts in the trunk and interior so I couldn't see the floor-pan but he says they are solid. The asking price is $800. What do you think? Are enough parts available to restore this car? How do I tell the difference between the Deluxe 8 and the Super Deluxe 8? Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. This looks like it would make an excellent frame off restoration project and show car eventually but would take a little time. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

JD in KC

Re: Just looked at a 1950 4-Door Packard today HELP!

Post by JD in KC » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 pm

If you can get the vehicle number off of the data plate located on the cowl under the hood on the drivers' side it will be easy to determine exactly which model you are looking at.

The Super Deluxe had the egg-crate grill just like the Custom (top of the line). If the car is a Super Deluxe and you have to replace the grill... it isn't going to be cheap. The hood ornament can arguably be a Pelican or a Cormorant but never a Swan (I'm firmly in the Cormorant camp myself). I'd suggest you take a look at all the different 23rd series models here in the 'Encyclopedia'/'Model and Body Styles by Year' section of the website to get a feel for the differences in the models.

Without photos I'd be very reluctant to comment on value. The degree of rust is always a major concern. Parts are available, not as available as Ford or Chevrolet, but available.
Attachments
PinfoShot640x480.JPG
Here's Mine... 1950 Custom Sedan

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 am

The number on the Firewall is 2382-5-16469. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 am

That makes it a 1950 23rd series Super 8 Touring Sedan. This car had the standard grill in lieu of the egg-crate grill (much easier to find, and less expensive).

Here's a link to more information on this model:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... p?model=61

rodjoe

Post by rodjoe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:32 am

In 1949 and 1950 (-5), there were three different grills. The Custom and Super Deluxe had the egg-crate grill and the deluxe had the very familiar small standard grill but the Super had a large 3 bar grill with slanted bars. The Super was on the longer 127" wheelbase along with the Custom and Super-Deluxe. These are rather rare and I would think finding one would be just a little difficult. The "front end views" section of this website incorrectly lists the Super with the wrong front end for 1949 and 1950. Check the showroom brochure for the correct view.

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm

3 grills... well, you learn something new every day. That would make it more difficult. Here are two pictures showing the difference. Photos from Packardinfo.com:
Super Grill.JPG
Super 8 Grill
Super Grill.JPG (10.14 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Standard Grill.jpg
Standard and Deluxe 8 Grill
Standard Grill.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
I would have thought that after seeing hundreds of photos of the 'Bathtub' Packards I would have picked up on the difference. Never did. Thanks for correcting the information.

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 pm

I just bought the car. I'll post a couple of pictures for you. Nothing is cleaned up yet and I don't have it home yet. I'll get a trailer after a meeting on the 8th and go pick it up. Someone had started gathering parts together to restore it at some point in the past because there are a lot of parts in the trunk and in the back seat of the car. There are many parts in original Packard packaging. It appears as if everything is there except the grill. I'll also have to replace the back glass because it is broken. Gene
Attachments
SANY0001.JPG
3 piece hood ornament
SANY0008.JPG
Part # on ornament
DSCN1465.JPG
Dash
DSCN1470.JPG
side view w/ lots of dust
DSCN1473.JPG
trunk where most of rust is
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Congratulations. I'll keep on the lookout for a Super 8 grill. If one shows up (now that I know what to look for) I'll let you know.