How can I identify which Packard I have

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Leon de Klerk

How can I identify which Packard I have

Post by Leon de Klerk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 am

Hi,
My name is Leon de Klerk and I am from South Africa.
I have a 1928 Packard Straight Eight Phaeton BUT I need to confirm exactly which model / series I have before I can start to do any work on her.
Any help in this regard to guide me how to establish this would be very much appreciated.
Also, where can I find out approximate values of this model vehicle.

The vehicle I have is extremely long, have a spare wheel on each front mudguard ( 6 wheeler ) and a suitcase on the backbumper. It also have "disc" wheels and 20" tyres. If a photo would help, I would gladly provide as I have many.

Thanks

Leon.

Dave Czirr

Re: How can I identify which Packard I have

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:08 am

Hi Leon, and welcome.

Since Packard didn't introduce cars by model year until quite few years later, the fact that your car is apparently titled as a 1928 doesn't really identify it. Packard 8-cylinder cars that bracket 1928 are: the Fourth Series Single Eight (mfd 7-1-27 to 8-1-28), the Sixth Series Standard Eight (8-1-28 to 8-20-29) and the Sixth Series Custom and DeLuxe 8 (8-1-28 to 8-20-29).

Certainly post a few pictures, but most helpful would be a measurement of the wheelbase between hubcap centers, and of course the vehicle number which you should find on the "patent plate", either affixed to the engine side of the cowl, or perhaps on the passenger side of the cowl up between the clutch and brake pedals. Also helpful to know would be if your car has a large embossed number on the engine side of the cowl enclosed by diamond-shaped brackets; though the number itself isn't particularly useful (though I'd like to have it for the record) this would tell us if it's a 6th series vehicle.

PS - how about a motor number as well?

Leon de Klerk

Post by Leon de Klerk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 am

Thank you very much Dave, I will certainly look out for any identification numbers and measure the wheelbase and revert back to you for further assistance.

Leon de Klerk

Post by Leon de Klerk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:33 am

Hi Dave,

I have measured the distance between the axles and it is 3,620 meter or 1,425 inches or 12 feet.

The only identification numbers I could get was 1) on a identification name plate on the firewall is 228 455 R
2) on the engine block * 228 540 A *

It doesn't have the the large embossed number on the firewall, also it is a right hand drive vehicle.

thanks

Leon de Klerk

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:34 am

It would appear that you have a 4th Series Eight, model 443. That model would have a 143 inch wheelbase, a motor and vehicle number between 225013 and 232815 (though some sources differ on these numbers), and would not have the large, embossed body serial number on the cowl. The 443 phaeton is a very desireable Packard, many consider the 443 to be the pinnacle of Packard engineering and style in that era.

Might I suggest that you go to the Roster section of the main website here, and make contact with Mr. Jim Pearsall who is listed as the roster-keeper for the 1933-34 Eights and Super Eights. Jim is a noteable historian of these early Packards and would be interested in information on your car, and may well have some of it's past history as well. You may also wish to contact the roster-keeper for your specific car, I believe he is located in Australia.

Got any pictures to post here?

Leon de Klerk

Post by Leon de Klerk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:15 am

Thank you so much Dave for your feedback. I certainly will contact the people suggested for further info.

I will post some pic's - just need to get someone to assist me as I am a bit technologically challenged.

Kind regards

Leon.