vin info

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Russ

vin info

Post by Russ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Hello. Where can i find info on researching my vehical? Can i enter it with m.v.d. and find out anything? thanks. Russ

Dave Czirr

Re: vin info

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:47 am

Hi Russ: You just say "info"; I'm not sure what kind of info you want but I'm guessing you want prior ownership. You can certainly try your state's division of motor vehicles, or even other states DMV if you think the car was titled there at some point. I've not done this but I suspect that even if they are willing to do the work, which is doubtful, today's privacy laws will prohibit them from giving you any useful information. But go ahead and give it a try.

The best information of course comes about when each of the prior owners has passed along the car's history, or if one later owner diligently did the tracking of ownership backwards by phone & mail and passed those efforts along with the car as it changed hands. This can be very, very difficult to do, often nearly impossible. Another way, if prior owners belonged to a club like this one and notified the roster keeper of their particular year/model aware of their car, then the roster keeper might have a partial history. Of course it's doubtful it would be a full history as the first one or more owners wouldn't have considered the car to be a collectible vehicle, just "wheels". To maximize the enjoyment of your Packard, I'd suggest you join this club (PAC) if you're not already a member, and then contact the roster keeper for your year (see "rosters" in the main section of this website.)

Russ

Re: vin info

Post by Russ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks for bit of information . I have joined PAC, and its been wealth of knowledge. I'll keep plugging away for the history.
Dave Czirr wrote:Hi Russ: You just say "info"; I'm not sure what kind of info you want but I'm guessing you want prior ownership. You can certainly try your state's division of motor vehicles, or even other states DMV if you think the car was titled there at some point. I've not done this but I suspect that even if they are willing to do the work, which is doubtful, today's privacy laws will prohibit them from giving you any useful information. But go ahead and give it a try.

The best information of course comes about when each of the prior owners has passed along the car's history, or if one later owner diligently did the tracking of ownership backwards by phone & mail and passed those efforts along with the car as it changed hands. This can be very, very difficult to do, often nearly impossible. Another way, if prior owners belonged to a club like this one and notified the roster keeper of their particular year/model aware of their car, then the roster keeper might have a partial history. Of course it's doubtful it would be a full history as the first one or more owners wouldn't have considered the car to be a collectible vehicle, just "wheels". To maximize the enjoyment of your Packard, I'd suggest you join this club (PAC) if you're not already a member, and then contact the roster keeper for your year (see "rosters" in the main section of this website.)