Dual exhaust

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
cp_1247

Dual exhaust

Post by cp_1247 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:18 am

Any Eight owners out there that retained their straight 8 but put dual exhaust on it? How was it done, and what did it take parts wise? Looking into this for my project. Thank you
Shane

Adam

Re: Dual exhaust

Post by Adam » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:03 am

Not too difficult to accomplish. You have a single pipe coming from the exhaust manifold, so you need to connect a 'Y' piece to that and assemble dual systems from that point back. The key decision is where to insert the Y piece. Somewhere behind the rear bumper would be easiest :lol: but if you are determined, make it the exhaust front pipe, near the gearbox.

There would be no real advantage, other than twin tailpipes to show off, but if you fancy it, go for it.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

cp_1247

Re: Dual exhaust

Post by cp_1247 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:41 am

That was my intent, but I was told by an older gentleman that they used to make a split manifold or split header for packard straight eights. I am assuming it's was completely custom and made from scratch, but was wondering if anyone else has come across this. But yeah, I definitely want the dual look. I figured right after the rear axle, Y it, and send one pipe to each side.
Shane