turn signals

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
bobhattler

turn signals

Post by bobhattler » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 am

I have a 1940 Packard 120 sedan convertible that I would like to put turn signals on in a fashion to maintain originality.
Bob Hattler

Dave Czirr

Re: turn signals

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:21 am

Bob - welcome!

I was hoping that someone who had actually done this job would chime in, thus I delayed responding because I have no direct experience doing this job, but here goes.

One of the major makers of aftermarket direction signal units (that attached to the steering column) was Signal-Stat and their units and well as units may by other makers are often seen at flea markets and on eBay. Also if you "google" a bit you'll find there are kit makers for installations on older cars that mount below or behind the dashboard, pretty much out of sight, and have provision for switching (but usually without auto-cancel feature). You'll want a unit for 6-volt, I'm reasonably confident the polarity (pos. or neg. ground) is not an issue unless the unit uses solid-state components.

Unless your tail lights have a separate bulb for brake and tail light like 1941/42, you'll need to install new sockets for use with dual-filament bulbs. Plenty of suppliers that provide that kind of item, probably any of the major makers of repro wiring harnesses and also places like Restoration Supply. If you want me to fish around a bit for more specifics, let me know but if you buy a modern under-dash unit the supplier will probably have all this info and perhaps the additional parts as well.

Do please keep us posted on your progress as this is likely to be a topic that comes up again and others will thus be able to benefit from your experience.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 am

I am sure you can source these kits locally, but there is one supplied at a good price by Auto Electrical Supplies here:- http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p ... ategory/73

They also do an LED kit, which would have a very low current consumption, but is 12V only.

Of course we have orange indicator lamps here in the Uk, so some ingenuity may be be needed if you wish to flash the brake lights, USA style, as Dave has outlined.

Good luck with it! An invaluable safety measure in modern traffic.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

JoeSantana

Post by JoeSantana » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Bob, You prob have this resolved, but I ordered my wiring harnesses from Harnesses Unlimited. They offered an option for turn signal wiring at no add'l cost to the harness set for 1940. I drilled a hole in the upper interior of my taillights and pressed a bulb socket in there. I think the sockets came with the wiring harness. The bulb, smaller than the brake/tail dual filament bulb, just fit. I think I have to put it in first. Then add push in the larger bulb. The pictures are lousy, just after painting, so there's masking tape over the sockets. I bought a aftermarket turn-signal control. It was all chrome and had a big red emergency knob. I painted the housing brown 1940 interior color and replaced the knob with a caramel knob from a broken window crank. The harness and the control both came with wiring diagrams. Be sure to get a 6 volt flasher.
Attachments
40taillt2.jpg
40taillt2.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
40taillt.jpg
40emerglights.jpg
17wireloom.jpg
17Blinker3.jpg

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for your input. Installed 12volt signal and replaced the 12 volt bulb with a 6 v. it would n't work. Scraped the steering column and the paint off the black signal, got a dim light. I'll probably run an additional ground wire from the signal base to a better ground. I did the that on my 48 willys jeep with success. My mechanic made a (+) ground mistake and hooked up the wire to the wrong side of the brake switch. Hence no emergency flasher. Will correct. We used the parking lights on the front as turn signals, losing the parking light mode, in the rear we used the existing brake lamps.

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 am

I had turn signals installed and I'm not sure it's correct. The diagram states to take the fused wire to positive power and hook to the brake switch with the other red wire. Right now I have turn signal operation at all times. I was hoping to have only flashers at all times. Also I had to remove the signal light as it glowed all the time, this was after I scraped the paint off the column. Maybe I need to change the unit out for a positive ground unit. I have turn signals, should I just give it a rest and live with it? One other thing, my brake light switch died, connected?
Thanks
BOB Hattler

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:18 am

Bob, perhaps your brake light switch just failed by coincidence? It's a NAPA/Echlin SL-134 readily available for a few bucks.

As to your other problems with the direction signal installation I really can't help except to comment that light bulbs don't really care about polarity so whether the unit is for positive or negative ground really shouldn't make any difference.

Anyone else able to help Bob with his directional installation? Bob, perhaps if you scanned and posted a picture of the installation directions that were provided with the unit, it might help someone provide a diagnosis.

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:57 am

Here's the scan.
Bob Hattler
Attachments
turn signal.pdf
(1 MiB) Downloaded 267 times

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:14 am

Dave, not sure scan worked. As soon as my daughter gets here I'll try again. It's hard for a vintage man to learn all these new computer tricks.
Thanks for your help, Too late on a NAPA part, $35.00 from Kanter.
BOB Hattler

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 am

Yes I was able to download and read your wiring diagram for the turn signals.

Not trying in the least to do Kanter Auto out of a sale, they are a wonderful support to the hobby and good friends as well. Yet it's astounding how many parts are out there for less $ for those willing to do a little searching or inquiring. And I don't begrudge those who have put in this legwork for asking for a little extra money for doing the research themselves.

Here's hoping someone examines your wiring diagram and can offer some assistance. I still stick my left arm out the window for turn signals - younger drivers who never learned about hand signals don't always know what you're going to do, but at least they they should be able to figure out that you're going to do something!