turn signals

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
bobhattler

Re: turn signals

Post by bobhattler » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Dave, you wont believe this, after waiting for the switch, it arrived and I could not figure out how to attach wires to it. No screw holes! I took my old one to NAPA and he'll have a correct one tomorrow morning. The drama goes on. $20.00 total cost.
BOB Hattler

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Bob, are you speaking of the brake light switch? The correct one does not have any screw holes for attaching the wires, it uses "push on" type connectors on the wires that just push over a pair of brass bayonets or pins on the switch. Not that it matters in terms of function just how the connections are made. Perhaps some prior owner used a substitute switch and changed the wire connectors?

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:49 am

Kanter sent the wrong switch. Bought one from NAPA. Sent their switch and bad switch back so they could up date their computer and refund my money.
I now have brake lights.
Thanks again,
BOB

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Just received a replacement switch. It's the exact same one that doesn't work properly, only it came with a 6 volt flasher. It was advertised as a 6 volt flasher positive ground. Instructions came for negative ground. So now I'm starting from scratch again. Does any one have a switch that works they could recommend? It should have a 6 volt bulb that actually lights up when using the signal.

I had an emergency and pulled the emergency switch out. Pulled over to the side of the road, no emergency signal. I later found out you have to pull the switch and adjust it (giggle) to work. Since I did not have a light on the switch, the only way to check it was to exit the car which was stopped on the side of the freeway. This is NOT what I would call safety feature.
The turn signal from hell.
Bob Hattler

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Is there a number on the flasher that is supposedly positive ground? The 535 which is the flasher recommended for 6v positive ground cars works fine in flashing but the indicator light circuit does not work on that one either. I believe it's because while the flasher has mechanical contacts, there is a transistor to work the indicator light and it's the wrong transistor for positive ground.

Has anyone tried the Electro Tech flasher unit. That advertises it fits 6 or 12 volt, pos or neg ground cars. http://turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Thanks Howard, I saw that turn signal after I ordered a turn signal from Mac Ford. They promised not to tell I was putting it on a packard. It looks like the real deal.
The $230 turn signal will be my next purshase if Ford doesn't work.
I think I will make the USPS profitable the way I keep returning things.
I hope to see some of you packard guys and gals at the Mt Airy tour In April.
BobHattler

Joe Fazzio

Post by Joe Fazzio » Fri May 02, 2014 1:17 pm

Dave, sorry to respond so late. However, most of the time you try to use arm signals, most drivers think your waving at someone. I have used the hidden signal switch for years on my model a fords. Using this switch, you do not need to have duel light bulbs. You can yes your current brake and park lights by running a separate wires to the brake and park lights. This system operate just like a modern system and also has 4 way flashing.

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 am

My flasher burned out and I replaced it. The pilot light burns dimly all the time so we hooked the turn signal to the ignition switch.
Now I have no emergency flasher at halt.
I was test driving my car and could not get the gearshift to function properly. I pulled away in low gear and moved the lever toward second into neutral. The transmission stayed in low gear. I turned on the emergency flasher and started to exit the car. The engine stalled when I let the clutch out as it was still in low. I turned off the ignition and forgot I had no lights. I stepped out in traffic opened the hood and pushed the levers until they disengaged low gear. (WE are working on gear shift problem as we had just installed an OD transmission.) This situation of having no flashing lights could be fatal.
Would hooking the system to continuous power and just take the bulb out be a solution?
Thanks for your help,
Bob

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:19 pm

I just visited the requirements for turn signals and the turn signal is wired to the ignition switch. My next question is could the X and L terminals be reversed feeding power to the bulb?
Bob

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:46 am

I just checked my other cars and the emergency flashers all came on without the ignition on.
Can't believe every thing on the internet,
Bob