Overhead Cam "356" Packard engine

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
DrMorbius

Re: Overhead Cam "356" Packard engine

Post by DrMorbius » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Any more news on this interesting engine?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:59 am

Current photo.
Attachments
ewj fi3561.png
(7.93 MiB) Downloaded 1575 times

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks Dave for the picture.........WOW!
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

665BogNJ

Post by 665BogNJ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:30 am

Personal computer failures limited my communication with the world about my SOHC project for a lengthy time period. The engine has run for nine hours while sitting on/in the dolly shown in a photo posted by my friend, Dave Czirr. I hope for warmer weather to allow me to paint the front section of the chassis prior to installing it into the vehicle. The external dimensions of the engine have grown to substantially exceed the length of the 257/282 series engine with which Packard fitted the '35 -'37 120's. The top of the SOHC engine can no longer fit into the narrow depression of the firewall as the original engine did. In standard form, the 356 engine will fit into the depression but the additional two inches of engine length would require moving the radiator forward two inches! The SOHC timing housing also adds length as does the use of a 359 damper mounted on the longer crank snout of a 356. This damper is needed to accommodate an additional FORD, bolt on, crank pulley since my engine requires two belts. The 300 inch FORD Six water pump is offset to the driver side of the engine and pumps the coolant through a passage integrated into the rear of the timing housing to reach the Packard coolant distribution tube inserted into the passenger side of the Packard block. This brass distribution tube has had the holes facing the cylinders blocked and new holes drilled to direct the coolant toward the holes in the SOHC head near the exhaust valves. Because it is not possible to mount a crankshaft driven fan on the water pump, a fan pedestal bracket mounted on the half inch thick aluminum timing cover is used. This pedestal is a "big block Mopar" water pump with the pump impeller removed, the shaft shortened, and bolted to a the bracket. The fan is a thermostatic clutch fan as used on '70's Chevrolets. The accumulation of additional engine length as presented above necessitated the lengthening of the frame 15 inches beginning at a point 2 inches forward of the vertical surface of the firewall. I am now have a 1935 PACKARD 135! The 356 flywheel is used but has been drilled to accept a Chevy eleven inch diaphragm clutch. The transmission is a Tremec TKO 600 five speed with a .64 fifth gear ratio. An "early" Pontiac Lakewood Housing was modified to position the starter near the 356 position, but an aftermarket "mini" starter for a '60's - '85 Chrysler products is use to conserve space, meet the 12 volt need, and has the same diametral gear pitch as the Packard ring gear on the flywheel. The carburetor is a DEMON 625 cfm unit mounted on an aluminum manifold. Because the Doge 4.7 liter engines use camshafts, each of which is "assembled" from 12 parts, I was able to cut two camshaft into 8 segments, one for each cylinder and reassemble the segments into the required 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4 firing order camshaft using 17 millimeter drill rod, with 17/64 inch through holes as "splice plugs" and welding the pieces together in a fixture.