Need Advise on Air conditioning on 1955 Clipper

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
thielbar1

Need Advise on Air conditioning on 1955 Clipper

Post by thielbar1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:01 am

I have been thinking lately about putting air conditioning on my 1955 Clipper 320, Has anyone done this before?

Dave Czirr

Re: Need Advise on Air conditioning on 1955 Clipper

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 am

Sure it's been done before, many times in many different ways. I have no personal experience so I'll leave the detail comment to those that have first-hand experience. If your intention was to add a factory-type system, I won't say it's impossible but it will prove very difficult just to find the parts; you'll want to find a parts car that had factory AC but even so it will be an ordeal to install and return to function. A simplier way will to be add a aftermarket type under-dash system but even then it's a bit of an undertaking. I assume you're in a warm climate so you'll probably also need the larger radiator and fan, and of course the extra sheave for the crankshaft pulley to drive a compressor.

Hoping someone who's been thru this can provide some help.

dwightrh

Re: Need Advise on Air conditioning on 1955 Clipper

Post by dwightrh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Adding FACTORY air to a V8 Packard can be done, with some aspects being simple and some being difficult.
Parts are hard to find for factory a/c. Further, an otherwise complete factory a/c works better with a modern
compressor. It's really not worth the effort to have a factory a/c unit without a modern compressor, if you
want it to work as well as a modern car. If you don't care about it working, but just want to have a Packard
with authentic factory a/c, it would be neat, but expensive. I can go over details of my experience in
equipping 5 Packards with factory a/c, and having them work well, one with original Lehigh compressor and
one with a modern 5-piston Sanden, which works beautifully. Call me at 410-329-3022.