Air Conditioning and engine temperature?

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
carcrank

Air Conditioning and engine temperature?

Post by carcrank » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 am

I am installing air conditioning on my 48 Station Sedan and have everything ready to go but am concerned about the engine overheating. I have seen AC on some other Packards but did not cheek to see if the radiator and fan had been replaced with different units to reduce the engine heating. Any help would be appreciated.

westpeterson

Re: Air Conditioning and engine temperature?

Post by westpeterson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:23 am

I have factory air on my 1940, and I believe the radiator and fan are stock units. My engine does tend to get hot when driving through the mountains of Pennsylvania, but I don't know if that's because my radiator needs to be recored or not.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:30 am

West, have you checked the parts list and service letters to see if a different radiator or fan was specified for the prewar AC cars? I'm not an advocate of modifying the car in question by adding AC, but if I did I'd try to determine if the fan used on the 356 engine (5-bladed as opposed to 4) would fit.

Some of the 48-50 cars tend to overheat and defy solution, I agree with the original poster that he should be concerned with that possibility.

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:41 am

Not yet. I'll look, though.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio

carcrank

Post by carcrank » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Dave,
It gets hot in Texas and if I want my wife to ride with me she likes to be cool. .....Jokes aside.

The parts book for 22 –54 series shows a different fan, radiator, radiator cradle, radiator top and lower splashers for use on cars with AC but does not give any information as to what the difference is. It does not show a fan shroud that I can find. Do you have any suggestions?

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:46 am

Does it give parts numbers? If so, do they match up with any prewar parts numbers.
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio

carcrank

Post by carcrank » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 pm

Yes West, it gives part #s for the 24-56 series with AC but none of them cross with 1800-1900 series part #s :( .

34PackardGuy

Post by 34PackardGuy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:08 am

My own somewhat limited experiences with the 22nd/23rd series cars is that with the exception of the Custom 8s, they tend to overheat a bit with the least little provocation. At the least, I'd make sure the cooling system was in absolutely top-notch condition, look for a more effective fan, and hold out the possibility that an electric "pusher" fan may be essential. They (pusher fans) are not an ideal solution as they tend to impede air flow thru the radiator at road speeds, but that's not the condition you're likely to have problems with.

Packardlover

Post by Packardlover » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 am

I know originality is important, but re: the overheating issue, why not install a puller fan so which will pull air through the radiator thus improving the cooling. Perhaps including a shroud. Saw an Aussie Ford today with a new radiator and two of these fans - supposed to be good.

I can't understand why folks go to the trouble of rebuilding their cars and don't correct known issues such as cooling, have seen comments in the Aussie club magazine and it really amazes me that someone would rather drive their car and have to stop due to overheating instead of fixing it.

Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:18 am

I agree that these cars are so much better when thoroughly sorted out. However, I do think that many of the "known" faults such as overheating are really a product of many decades of degradation and possibly neglect. When put back to correct specification most historic cars work perfectly well (he says, running for cover :D :D ).
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.