Air Conditioning and engine temperature?

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
Packardlover

Re: Air Conditioning and engine temperature?

Post by Packardlover » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am

Fair enough if true Adam, I can't comment. I know my Studebaker Lark will overheat if idling for a while, I intend to fix that once (eventually) restored.

JWL115C

Post by JWL115C » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:08 am

I just finished going through the cooling system on my 47 Custom Clipper. Work included: Recored radiator with staggered 7-tube core; a rebuilt water pump; new 151F bellows type thermostat with new retainer and gasket; new deep reach 7# radiator cap; new fan belt; fitted proper 5-blade stock fan; new upper and lower radiator hoses; new heater shut-off valve; removed water distribution tube and back flushed engine block, cylinder head, and heaters; new 30% mixture of antifreeze and purified water. System works just like it should, running around 165F. Did not replace electric fan in front of radiator and after market 5-blade flex fan. It involved some expense, time, and effort but well worth it to have a properly functioning cooling system.

(o{I}o)

Packardlover

Post by Packardlover » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:15 am

Especially if the alternative is a ruined engine. All the best with your car. I agree with Adam that it's indeed probable that a vehicle properly gone over should be OK, at least assistance is available if not.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 am

JWL, that sounds fantastic. I am sure that you will have no problems at all with that set up. It seems to me that these cars must have worked reliably when new, or nobody would have bought them, especially expensive cars like Packards. So it should be possible to return them to that spec now. I do accept however, that we may have more traffic congestion, for which they were not originally designed. My Alfa was built with no cooling fan, which is a worry in stationary traffic. I think a large water capacity and what is effectively pump-assisted thermo syphon helps.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

dwightrh

Post by dwightrh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:12 pm

My experience with the terms "overheating" or "runs hot" can mean many different things to different people. Some folks think their car is overheating if the temp. gauge is over about half-way. Don't panic! My def. of overheating is if the coolant boils and/or if the cooling systems looses coolant. High readings on temp. gauges, where no loss of coolant is experienced, is NOT overheating. Further, my experience with a '48 Packard hearse, which I've had for 40 years, is that it never overheated by any definition. My '41 in slow traffic would result in a temp. gauge reading all the way over to H! However, it did not boil and there was no loss of coolant. Therefore, it did not overheat. I believe that real overheating problems are a result of cars that are not to factory spec. After all, when Packards were new, they did not overheat. Some conditions that can lead to overheating include "silt" amassing in the water jackets, which prevents proper circulation of water thru the engine. This condition usually results in a LOWER temp. reading than normal, because the water circulates above combustion areas. Other conditions are improper timing, non-working vacuum advance, pinging, too high a compression ratio due to improper head gasket and/or heads that are shaved too much, spark plugs with a high heat range. Obvious conditons are poor circulation due to radiator, hoses, obstructions, etc.

MichaelF350

Post by MichaelF350 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:16 pm

I have a '35 120 - 893 with AC. I used a fan from a 78 Chrysler, re-drilled the mounting bolt pattern to fit the Packard water pump hub (which is a newer style from a later engine). NOTE: This fan is MUCH larger diameter so, make a simple hub fixture, bolt it to your radial arm saw table and use a fibre impregnated mettel cut off disk. Set the saw head to intersect one of the blades and lock down the saw head. Carefully advance the fan blade into the was wheel and rotate till all the blades are cut off uniformly. It's not really all that difficult, and works great. I now have a great seven blade fan and the engine runs as normal.

Mike

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Mike,

Is your A/C 6V or did you convert to 12V?
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.