Can One Add Power Steering To A 1949 Strait 8???

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
Dave Czirr

Re: Can One Add Power Steering To A 1949 Strait 8???

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:14 am

Though I detest them as a "solution" to overheating (which they are not, they just mask the problem) one way to deal with the displacement of the fan center is to use an electric cooling fan mounted in front of the radiator. They are readily available in 6-volt for these cars.

fredrump

Post by fredrump » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:02 pm

This thread sort of ended without a resolution. I'm also interested in getting power steering on a 1949 (22nd series) Packard. Any ideas as to how?
1949 Super 8 Victoria Convertible in Sylvan Green (2279-9-11255)
1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Club Sedan in Red
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible in Red
1993 Bentley Brooklands in Beige

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 am

It has been done a few times by using components of later Packards but it is somewhat compromised as you'll still have the gear ratio within the steering gear box of a manual steering system. Thus the "lock to lock" turns from extreme right to extreme left will still be the high number, same as associated with the manual steering; to get "faster" steering to accompany the power boost you'll also have to change the steering gear box ratio and that's something I don't believe anyone has done on the earlier Packards and even folks who do PS conversions on the later Packards where a more advantageous ratio box is available, have for the most part not done so.

Quite a few folks who have contemplated adding power steering have first put on proper size and type tires at the correct inflation pressures and had their front end work done as needed and an alignment done, and have found the steering to be so improved as to no longer desire a PS conversion. Of course at a dead stand-still, the steering effort will remain high.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 am

I believe the person who first posted this question 3 or 4 years ago is the same gentleman that completed an install on his dads 49. He has provided some photos and a description of components used and how he approached the conversion via some posts at the packardinfo forum. While there are other ways to add PS, his approach is probably one of the easiest. Don't remember seeing any followups so no idea on how well the conversion has performed over time or if he would have done anything differently. http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... post167143
Last edited by Howard56 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fredrump

Post by fredrump » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:50 am

Normal steering is fine. It's just the close encounters that are killing me. When the car is in slow movement mode like parking or other tight maneuvering. I don't remember this extreme effort back in the 50s when I had the same car but was in my early 20s. Old age probably has something to do with this. :-)

fredrump

Post by fredrump » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 am

Howard56 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 am
I believe the person who first posted this question 3 or 4 years ago is the same gentleman that completed an install on his dads 49. He has provided some photos and a description of components used and how he approached the conversion via some posts at the packardinfo forum. While there are other ways to add PS, his approach is probably one of the easiest. Don't remember seeing any followups so no idea on how well the conversion has performed over time or if he would have done anything differently. http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... post167143
Oh my! This guy had the whole engine out. I have a feeling I'll stick with my muscels to fight this battle. I thought it would be a relatively simply addition using some kind of kit. I found this on line but note that a 12 volt system is required to drive this electric pump.

EPAS "electric power-assisted steering" Performance Application Specific Conversion Kits are designed to be installed without major or irreversible modifications to your classic vehicle. The computer control, wiring and electric assist motor assembly can all be installed under the dash to be almost, if not completely invisible. An adjustment knob is included allowing you to have maximum power assist in a parking lot and less assist on the highway. Easy step-by-step instructions are also included.

You may be asking why electric power steering? Most modern production cars and trucks now use electric power-assisted steering. The reason is simple, there is no need for an engine mounted, belt driven fluid pump, no hoses to transfer the fluid, and no leaky hydraulic operated steering box or rack. It is environmentally friendly and even works when the engine is not running!

Features:
•No Major Modifications to Install
•Power-Assist Adjustment Knob
•Works without Engine Operation

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 am

As I recall the gentleman's father was elderly with limited upper body strength and a hard time driving so the need for PS. With his dad having owned it a long time with a fond attachment to the car and no desire to change it too much, one of the criteria was to keep the car as stock looking and period correct as possible.

Downside to doing almost any serious upgrade to add a creature comfort is the need for 12v, addition of AC probably being the most desired modern option and worst offender in finding any aftermarket units that would be a decent install. The electric PS approach is interesting and one I wouldn't have thought of for an old car. Anyone going to the extreme of converting to 12v for AC then could add PS and also go a step farther and add the Electro-boost power brake system. Just think of the excitement that would stir up with those of the purist persuasion.