A Packard Diesel?

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
Adam

A Packard Diesel?

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:29 am

At risk of being drummed out of the forum for heresy, I thought I would share an idea that I have been toying with.

It may never see the light of day, but I have a part restored, but still just a shell, 22nd series eight sedan. It is right hand drive as it was original UK spec.

Now I was thinking that it would be fun to build this up as a regular daily driver, by fitting a 12 volt alternator system for modern lights, heaters, indicators etc. I also thought that the original 288 engine, although fully rebuilt would be thirsty in daily use and what If I substituted a BMW straight 6 diesel engine and 4 speed auto trans from a 5 series saloon or similar. Such units are available from breakers yards from insurance write-offs. The BMW would have a similar rev range than the Packard, with higher max rpm I suspect. I think with the overdrive auto box that it would be fast and quiet. It is a very smooth diesel engine after all. I would also hope to see perhaps 25 - 30 mpg. Of course I would need the ECUs and wiring harness from the BMW along with the electronic throttle etc, but I think the unit would fit nicely in place of the 288 and would weigh about the same ( probably less actually).

By the way, I would definitely move to radial tyres, possibly low profile.

What does everyone think?

Am i persona non gratia ?? :D
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Ozstatman

Re: A Packard Diesel?

Post by Ozstatman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:40 am

An interesting concept Adam. The purists will no doubt frown upon the concept let alone it actually being put into practice. It actually sounds very practical and looks like you've put some serious thought into doing this exercise. If you go ahead with it, could you please keep us posted as it progresses?
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

Packardlover

Post by Packardlover » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 am

Why not go for the Ford TDC engine (developed and shared with Peugeot-Citroen) and the Powershift dual (normal and shift yourself) 6 speed automatic transmission, better than that BMW I should think.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:03 am

Ah, the 2.7 litre V6. I have that engine in my RangeRover Sport. Yes, that is an excellent engine and better than the BMW straight 6. However, my cunning plan was that the BMW is readily available in breakers yards for much less money. I could acquire not just the engine & trans but all the wiring harness and sensors from the donor car for a sensible price.

However, now you mention it, imagine if i could find an insurance write-off RangeRover or Discovery 3. Perhaps I could swap the complete driveline and make a 4 X 4 Packard. Air suspension too perhaps?

That may be a little ambitious, but fun to contemplate.

With the forthcoming showroom tax and rising vehicle excise duty on higher CO2 emitting new cars in the UK, it got me thinking that some of the older large saloon cars (such as 30s & 40s Packards) would make very luxurious and spacious cars now, were it not for the out-moded drivelines. I have long thought that a genuine 30s American car (not a fake such as the PT Cruiser) would make a splendid modern car if equipped with a modern powertrain, dampers and tyres. I am not even sure that disc brakes would be essential if driven sensibly. And think of all the leg room. I suppose modern wipers, demisting and heating would be needed, but not too difficult to achieve.

I suppose weight might be the downside, harming fuel economy and dynamics a bit.

Packardlover, you seem very aware of European marques, where are you based?

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Packardlover

Post by Packardlover » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 am

I'm from Adelaide in South Australia.

Funny, my car was built in Germany (Ford Werke sticker by R Rear door) and shipped to South Africa for assembly (Ford of Southern Africa sticker on R Front door), sent to Adelaide for me to purchase. Just a lovely vehicle, Ford has finally gotten their act together and are producing quality vehicles. I have done 38,900km since last May 8, absolutely brilliant, I love it.

Only trouble with modifying an earlier vehicle too much (who decides what "too much" is?") is that you basically end up with a PackardFord for example, as the body and interior may still be Packard, but the running gear is all Ford (or whomever you choose).

One of Hemmings magazines recently had a piece on an International Scout and all that was IH was the modified body; - frame, engine and most everything else was changed, body chopped too I think. I intend to modernize my 1962 Studebaker Lark, but still use the Studebaker engine, hopefully with Fuel Injection. Still, that's a lot of $$$$ away that I don't yet have.

If the UK (and crook economy) is getting expensive, you could always come down here, 1 more "Pom" won't matter. Drive the cars every day too.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:33 am

Now there is a suggestion... :D :D Perhaps I should move to OZ!! Quite tempting actually.

As for the car, I am not into hotrodding, although I can admire their workmanship. In this case, I am considering a hulk that would aotherwise be scrapped and thinking about creating an interesting project with it.

I do not generally agree with modding historic cars. There seem to be plenty of fibre glass retro bodies available for building retro-rods, which I should think would be easier than converting an existing car.

I would like to see a Lark with fuel injection though, very interesting to see how one of those engines could perform with closed-loop control.

Adam..