1948 Packard Woody Pick Up - Project 2010

PAC is dedicated to the preservation or authentic restoration and use of Packards; if you must consider non-stock modifications, here's the place.
RodFru2U

1948 Packard Woody Pick Up - Project 2010

Post by RodFru2U » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello,

We have one of the worsts modification EVER !! Some time in it's past some one took a saw / torch to this BEAUTIFUL Station wagon. The plan is to complete the job . Too much of the body is rotted away and to try and find a donor body to attempt a body swap would be foolish and expensive . We have a rebuilt sort block, So we will replace the engine. Not sure if it's the original or not. The OverDrive is not working correctly, Pop was tooling down hill and could not get it in or out of OD so that will have to be looked at .Some one replaced the doors with others before they chopped it, The recessed panels in the doors are missing. We thought they might have re skined them , On further investigation we can see into inside ( from the "bed" side ) and can not see the skeleton that the wood would attach too.
This "Project", we hope will be both a learning experiance for another generation of Busted Knckle Back Yard Mechanics ( My Nephews ) and "Just" another chance to work with My Best Friend ( My Dad ).I've been driping blood and oil with that Man since I was 5 years old. I'll keep the Group posted on the progress of the " Project ". I'll be hitting the group for info and questions as they come up.

JWL115C

Re: 1948 Packard Woody Pick Up - Project 2010

Post by JWL115C » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:16 am

Sometime in the recent past there was an article in one of the club publications (PAC, AACA, PI, I can't remember which one) about making a station sedan out of a 22nd or 23rd series touring sedan. I will look through my library and see if I can locate it. In the meantime, maybe someone out there remembers where this story appeared. You have a lot of work ahead. Best of luck.

JWL115C

Post by JWL115C » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 am

Okay, I found the article on the Station Sedan. It was published in the Spring 2008 (Vol. 45, No.1) issue of the Packards International Magazine. The story tells of marrying a 1950 Super 8 chassis and front end clip to a 22nd Series Station Sedan body. The lower wood on the doors was not used; rather, the outer door skins from the Super 8 were fitted to the Station Sedan. The project turned out exceptionally nice. You may be able to get a back copy of this issue by contacting Packards International, 302 French Street, Santa Ana, CA 92701, 714-541-8431. Don Hull was the editor. I hope this helps.

Ozstatman

Post by Ozstatman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:51 pm

There's a bloke here in Australia who has a '37 "Ute". Story is that during WW2 the government requisitioned all trucks and commercial vehicles for military use including the truck from the business of a guy who owned a '37 120 Convertible Sedan. In order to keep the business going he converted the Convertible Sedan into a "Ute". After the war it wasn't converted back and I guess by the time the present owner acquired and restored it the body panels, doors, seat, top had long gone. Anyway, the present owner, Jack M, restored it as a "Ute" and it looks nice, plus it does have a history and a purpose for the conversion. Here are some pic's. NOTE - By clicking on a pic you can enlarge it. :shock:
Attachments
'37 ''Ute''.JPG
'37 ''Ute''2.JPG
'37 ''Ute''3.JPG
'37 ''Ute''4.JPG
Mal
Currently - '50 Packard Eight Touring Sedan
Previously - '41 120 Club Coupe(Sold October 2017) & '38 Eight Touring Sedan(Sold July 2009)
Bowral, Southern Highlands, NSW Australia

"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

JWL115C

Post by JWL115C » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:33 am

Maybe the way to go is to do a "Woody" El Camino/El Rancho modification. If the Station Sedan is in such bad condition, this new lease on life would be better than scraping it. I think of Rick Selden's 115C "Service Truck". A first class job and attractive vehicle. The name of the ranch could be painted on the doors (like many resorts did in the day): "No Tengo Rancho". What would one call this modified Packard? I'll stop for now as it is getting a little silly, But seriously the idea is worth considering.

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 pm

John - I don't believe it is any closely guarded government secret - Rick Sladen's current project is a 115c Sedan Delivery. Rick does amazing work - very quiet guy - totally talented - does EVERYTHING himself. His car in primer looks better than most professional jobs...And now back to the 22/23rd series topic...I say let it die and buy the Henney Jr. that is looking to be adoped on ebay this week...