1955 Packard Clipper Constellation for sale

Post by Lizey1313 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm being offered to buy a 1955 Packard Clipper Constellation
In very fair condition with only 9000 miles
What is it worth paying for this I would really appreciate your help

genehouse

Re: 1955 Packard Clipper Constellation for sale

Post by genehouse » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:38 pm

First, sending pictures is always a good thing here on the Forum. We can tell a lot more about a car by looking at it. But, looking beyond that, there are some general ideas that I use that I am sure are quite different than many others. They work for me but each person has their own way of looking at cars. I more inclined to look for a car that drives my passion and makes me dream of it. I want something out of the ordinary; not like the typical Fords or Chevrolet's out there.

Just to give you a starting place, NADA Classics says that, "Note: Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered ‘Daily Drivers’ and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value." and then gives a "Low Retail" of $4,975. But, keep in mind that this is a retail value and is what the car lot would try to get for it if it were on a retail car lot. This car probably is not. What I normally do is use this as a starting point and consider about 50% of what they tell me so I would be looking in the area of $2,500 depending on a whole lot of factors such as real condition, recent repairs and new parts added, and finally, how much do I really want it. Mileage is not extremely important but is an consideration if it is very low. In this case the odometer did not have hundred thousand on it, it just turned back over to zeros so a 60 years old car with only 9000 miles may easily have 109,000 or 209,000 miles on it with a couple of rebuilds. I also take a good look at interior simply because, even though I can do them, the fabric is getting high and getting higher. With all that said. if your estimation of a fair condition and mine are about the same I would start a little on the principle that I can always go up.

Best of luck to you,
Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Lizey1313

Post by Lizey1313 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks

Lizey1313

Post by Lizey1313 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 pm

@genehouse here are some photos
What to you think now

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lizey1313

Post by Lizey1313 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:11 pm

@genehouse

Is this consider it a daily driver or a classical

Thanks for all your help

Lizey1313

Post by Lizey1313 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:18 am

@genehouse and yes it has 109,000 miles

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:05 am

I was really afraid that it did when you said 9,000 miles. It is good that the current owner was honest with you. Some are not and would tell you it was factory. I would consider this as a classic or vintage car and not put it in the daily driver category but I would not tell the owner that. He can do his own research. The car really appears to be in good condition but I would really take a good look at the rockers and the floor and trunk pans of the car (especially the spare tire well), they are more likely to be your rust locations. If you have light rust or some rust that bubbles in the paint it is still an indication that a complete re-paint is coming and unless you can do that job yourself it can run ten thousand plus. But, keep in mind that if it is only light or bubbles in a spot that does not show easily, and you do not plan to show it, you can always try to blend it and maybe get close enough for a twenty footer. The main idea is to stop the rust from growing, not to make a show car if you plan to drive it around a lot. I've never met a show car owner that was not afraid to drive their car out on the road for fear of pebbles pitting the paint. Hopefully this will provide you with a couple of ideas. By the way, it is a nice looking car.
Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6

Lizey1313

Post by Lizey1313 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks gene
What would you pay for this considering not seen in person or what do you think this is worth two bit?

Thanks

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Now you asking a harder question. I rarely buy cars I haven't seen unless I have a lot of faith in the Seller. Now, having said that, I just bought two without seeing them in the last two weeks but I got good pictures PLUS, the one driver is from someone highly recommended and someone I talked to long enough for my ears to hear the little "trust" tells that you can identify after 40 or 50 years of doing this. The man who recommended him to me is someone I trust completely as far as cars go so I have no reservations. The other car is a similar situation except it is basically a wreck in the back and needs a total rebuild. The complete body frame will need all new wood replaced in it and part of that old wood is missing meaning I will have to measure, cut, fit, and measure and cut again until I finally get it exactly right. Now, having explained why I normally do not, let's look at your car. There are things you have not told me. I've seen pictures that look really good but they tell me nothing of the drive train, brakes, and other mechanics of the car. Now, assuming that everything works as it should, electric seats works, wiper works, engine starts, runs, shifts, stops, and will do so for a long drive of 30 to 50 miles AND all of the interior body (floor and trunk pans) are solid, then I would have no problem offering $3,000 and probably be willing to go up to $4,000 and maybe a bit more if I really liked it and the exterior body was straight with no large (over quarter size) body filling, dents, or rust; and, if the paint was not flaky or bubbled and still had a shine to it when buffed with a soft towel. OK, the short version is that I'd start with about $2500 and be willing to go up until I reached my back down point of about $4500. If it does not run well then all bests are off and it is a project car valued in the less than $1500-$2000 range. As a good comparison, I bought a 56 Patrician a couple of years ago that would turn over by hot-wiring it but would not run. The interior door panels were toast but the rest was OK and it had a major dent in the passenger door and front fender. I paid $500 for it after negotiating the price down from $1250. Please note that all this is a general guideline based on a car I have only seen a few small pictures of.

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6

Lizey1313

Post by Lizey1313 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks gene I GET IT NOW!!!!!
You really gave me A very good run down I really appreciate your thoughts and advice

Thanks Eli