Looking for 1939 Super Eight Limousine

No commercial advertisers, please.
TBOU

Looking for 1939 Super Eight Limousine

Post by TBOU » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:47 am

I am trying to find my grandfather's 1939 Packard and I've had no luck contacting any of the local (Ohio) chapters. I've tried every way I can think of to find this car and I've never had this much trouble finding one of our family's cars before.

My grandfather, Charles Kirby of Portsmouth, OH, purchased a 1939 Packard limousine around 1949 and sold it in the late 1960s or early 1970s to someone in Marion, OH. It was black, with a tan interior, 2 side mount spare tires and no luggage rack. It was probably a business car since its original owner was a funeral home (Daehler’s of Portsmouth, Ohio) who used it for transporting families. If any of this sounds like a car you know of please post a reply. Thanks

Dave Czirr

Re: Looking for 1939 Super Eight Limousine

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:52 am

Hi - welcome to the PAC forums. Would be easier if you knew the vehicle number. It could have changed hands any number of times but once you know the model a place to start is with PAC's Member Directory, contacting all the folks who own the same year/model.

EDIT - just checked my Directory, there are 7 style 1270 (limo, w/divider window) and 2 1271 (same but w/o divider). None are in Ohio, you might try the PAC regions that cover New Hampshire, Missouri, Indiana, Iowa, Califormia, Kansas, Missouri, Massachussets and Arkansas.

TBOU

Post by TBOU » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks, I don't definitively know the model number, but I believe it is a 1271 from family memories. The BMV where it was registered was interested in helping me find the vin. I contacted Brian Burke a year ago, he suggested that it was a business car and he suggested contacting Tony Day. Tony Day was listed as the expert for 39s, but his phone and email do not work.

The local clubs in Ohio were no help, aside from suggesting I post an ad, but I'm in a couple other national car clubs and I rarely if ever look at the ads in their publications and am hesitant to do that. I haven't tried outside of Ohio yet, but you've given me a new lead to follow and I'll see what comes from it.

Thanks, Trevor

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:15 pm

Try hunting for Tony Day in Maryville, TN 37803

TBOU

Post by TBOU » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks flackmaster, but I've called every Tony Day that the white pages list for TN. The phone number listed in the roster is disconnected, every other phone number is either disconnected, a fax or the wrong Tony Day.

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 pm

email me directly at flackmaster@sbcglobal.net and I can provide his phone numbers - I don't believe he is hiding in Witness Protection or anything like that, but didn't want to publically post his numbers.
DF