seat belts pre-war

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.
hal

seat belts pre-war

Post by hal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 am

any thoughts on how to address the seat belt issue on a pre war

Dave Czirr

Re: seat belts pre-war

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:38 am

There's a different set of issues with prewar juniors with all steel bodies and seniors with wood bodies. I have one of the latter, drive defensively, avoid congested areas and Interstates, and have done without in the interests of authenticity, others may think this is foolish but it's a chance I'm willing to take. In the steel bodied juniors I don't think there are any special issues for typical lap belt installation, pretty much the same as postwar cars.

lancia

Post by lancia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:56 am

There's a picture of Charlie Vincent, I think on the Hudson website, belted into the back of a Super 6 in 1916 or 17. I guess he didn't want to get chucked out - they'd been speeding across from California to New York to claim a record when roads were really rough.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:20 am

Here in the UK, there is no requirement to fit seat belts to any pre 1963 vehicle (when belt fitting became mandatory), because of the lack of strengthened anchorages. I have not really noticed any fitted to earlier cars, although you could, if it is done in a workmanlike manner.

The key problem is with carrying children. We have a new Europe-wide law that children under three must be in an approved child seat (which requires seat belts to anchor it). So no seat belt, then no under threes. Over three years and under 12, or under 1.35 metres tall, the child must be in the rear seats, on an approved booster seat, with adult seat belt, where one is available. And that is the key phrase (where one is available) so if you have no seat belt, you do not need to use one.

I do appreciate the value of seat belts, but also am a believer in our cars being defensively driven, which greatly reduces the risk of collision. The only thing I find is that younger drivers think I will be going very slowly and try to drive out in front of me. Something that caused me to make an emergency stop in my Model T Ford a couple of weeks ago. :(

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.