33rd Annual Texas Packard Meet

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.
JWL115C

33rd Annual Texas Packard Meet

Post by JWL115C » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:05 am

This year's meet in Salado, Texas, is to be held from March 25-28, 2010. The Meet will be held at the Stagecoach Inn (P.O. Box 97, 1 Main Street, Salado, TX 76571, 254.947.5111, stagecoachinn.com).

We usually have between 40-50 Packards from many years and about 100 participants of all ages. The quaint town of Salado is located about 50 miles north of Austin on I-35.

The Meet is co-sponsored by the four clubs of the Texas Packard Region: Ark-La-Tex Packards, Heart of Texas Packards, Lone Star Packards, and Packards of North Texas.

Deadline for preregistration is March 19th. Registration fee is $20 per couple or $25 registering onsite.

Contact for more information:

Texas Packard Meet
Attn: Beverly Clark
735 Ware
San Antonio, TX 78221

Friday, March 26th - "Early Bird" tour through regional points of interest. and a buffet dinner for those wishing to participate.

Saturday, March 27th - Is a busy day with a show displaying the Packards, a swap meet, a technical session with multiple presenters, a group dinner (optional), and the awards ceremony for class and many other awards. There will be door prizes and a silent auction too.

Sunday, March 28th - Is for business meetings and check-out as we all head home.

Lodging at the Stagecoach is difficult to get, usually participants make their reservations a year ahead. Some rooms become available with people leaving early or canceling at the last minute. The Super 8 motel near by may have rooms available.

Come one, come all!!!

(o {I} o)

JWL115C

Re: 33rd Annual Texas Packard Meet

Post by JWL115C » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:00 am

The 33rd Annual Texas Packard Meet was the best of the three that I have attended. The Meet got started with a Friday morning tour and ended with the awards program on Saturday night.

According to my count, we had 54 Packards that pre-registered for the Meet, and 54 came to Salado, but they were not the same 54. Some of the pre-registered did not make it, and we had a few that registered at the Meet. We had participants from Oklahoma (2), Louisiana (2), and Texas, (with the most cars at 47) representing the four sponsoring clubs. We also had a Packard from Arizona, California, Ohio, and Kansas.

Expected from the pre-group were two entries we were eager to see: The 1903 Model K “Gray Wolf” replica, and a freshly restored 1940 Super Eight 180 Darrin Convertible Sedan. We were disappointed that the Wolf was not able to make it. Maybe next year. We were delighted that the Darrin graced the Meet. This was the second time for the Darrin, as it was still a work in progress when here last year. Another treat was an updated version of Henry Greene’s 1955 Clipper Custom Torsion-Level chassis, and new for this year, his Twin-Ultramatic transmission (sans the torque converter).

Many of the entries had participated in previous Meets, but there were a few new cars that were given a big welcome. We got to see and hear Packards from a 1927 Eight 5-7 Open Touring to a 1957 Clipper Town Sedan. To mention the oldest entries, a 1928 Single Six 533 Sedan was the next oldest, followed by a 1930 Standard Eight 733 2-4 Coupe, a 1932 Light Eight 900 Coupe Roadster, and a 1934 Eight 1101 Club Sedan. There were two Twelves present. A fresh looking and gorgeous 1937 Sedan made its first appearance, and a highly painted 1939 Limousine Touring added color to the Meet. There was a good mix of Senior and Junior Packards from 1937 to 1957. The 1955-56 V-8 cars made up the biggest group with 15 1/2 (the ½ being Greene’s chassis).

We are fortunate to have, on the www.packardinfo.com, good quality videos of the Packards and my photos of the cars. I missed getting a photo of a 1952 200 Sedan with a rich patina of rust on its top surfaces; a 1947 Clipper Custom Sedan from Saratoga, California; an especially nice 1951 Patrician 400 driven to the meet from Huston; and, Greene’s Chassis. Fortunately, Henry has been keeping us up-to-date with his restoration blog.

The Friday morning tour was a long one, about 150 miles on back roads through the surrounding countryside of Salado and Ft. Hood. We passed the Bush ranch entrance, but did not venture in. Our lunch break was in Crawford at a restaurant frequented by the former president. I did not get a count of cars on the tour, but estimate that there were at least 20 Packards. I am not aware of any problems that kept any of the cars from completing the tour.

Saturday is the big day for the Meet. The Packards are on display so participants can vote for their favorite in 19 classes plus two people’s choice for prewar and postwar. A small swap meet and vendor sales was also held. I bought an old hubcap that will eventually be part of a table lamp.

My favorite Saturday afternoon activity is the Technical Session. This year the Flackmaster held workshops on wood graining. He is quite the artiste. There was a well-presented talk on modern lubricants. It generated many questions, answers, and discussion. We were also given a good talk on shop safety. The presenter will give this talk at the national meet in Gettysburg. Everyone should hear this one. Then there was a talk on resurrection of engines that have been idle for many years - “But it was running when I parked it 20 years ago”. I led a brief discussion on battery cut-off switches, trickle chargers, and Optima-type batteries.

The Meet was concluded with the awards program. Owners of cars accumulating the most votes were awarded attractive plaques recognizing first and second in class plus People’s Choice awards. The long distance award went to a 1955 Clipper Panama driven from Brookville, Ohio. A 1947 Clipper Custom Sedan from far away Saratoga, California had been shipped to Salado and was to be driven back to California. The Ohio round trip-distance is greater than the one-way California mileage; hence, the Ohio car getting the award. A raffle was held for a significant cash prize and donated Packard and auto stuff.

A highlight of the program is the Hard Luck trophy. This year, Bud Juneau nominated Jim Hollingsworth for this auspicious recognition. Jim brought two Packards, but not the two he started out with. Bud came to the Meet from his home in California, via Jim’s, to help Jim drive one of the cars. Bud drove the 1940 One-Ten Sedan and Jim was to drive his 1941 Clipper. The Clipper had problems and his 1940 Super Eight Convertible was substituted. This should even the score between them as at a previous Meet another of Jim’s Packards had problems. Again it was the dynamic driving team of Jim and Bud. The Packard Bud was driving failed in route. Jim thought it more appropriate for Bud to receive the award (even though it was Jim’s car) because Bud was the one driving the car. We may not have heard the last of this.

I hope to see as many of you as possible at the 34th Annual Texas Packard Meet in 2011.

(o{I}o)

JWL115C

Re: 33rd Annual Texas Packard Meet

Post by JWL115C » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:34 am

To view the 2010 Salado photos on the packardinfo.com website go to Photo Archives on the left-hand side of the home page; from there go to Car Show Pictures; the Salado photos start on page 2.

(o{I}o)