renting an enclosed trailer for National meet

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.
mrnich07

renting an enclosed trailer for National meet

Post by mrnich07 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:25 am

Has anyone tried to rent an enclosed trailer to bring their Packard to a national meet. I have a vehicle that could pull the trailer, but do not have a place to store a trailer if I did buy one, and I probably only need it to go to this national meet anyway. So, anyone know a source for renting trailers? I know U-haul rents open trailers, but I really want one that will keep the car out of the rain and protected if needed.

JWLawrence

Re: renting an enclosed trailer for National meet

Post by JWLawrence » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:42 am

Another option would be to hire a carrier to transport your Packard to the National Meet. Problem would be scheduling and of course there is the return leg to organize too.

(o{}o)

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:45 am

Three suggestions -
1. Many places that sell trailers also rent them. Start calling around. Post where you are and possibly another reader may have a suggestion.
2. Make friends with your local Packard/AACA/CCCA regions - possibly post in a newsletter to get a referral or make a new trailer-lending friend.
3. As for transporting, which is a good option especially if you are not experience hauling the big box behind you, is to coordinate with the Meet Committee to arrange for pre-event drop off and post-meet storage - surely there are local PAC members who could offer safe storage.
4. Drive the Packard the meet. (Sorry, couldn't help myself....a bit of David Stewart's influence...)

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:29 pm

I have rented enclosed trailers before. They are fairly easy to find. All you have to do is do your research on-line. Search for "enclosed car trailer rental" or use the word, "hauler". It took me about 2 hours to find one the last time I looked and I was living in Greentown, IN about an hour North of Indy. I did not want to rent one in Indy since I was driving NE. I found one in Ft. Wayne. The cost was about $350 per week. Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!

mrnich07

Post by mrnich07 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks for the info folks. I do drive the car, and I will have owned it for 8 month by the time of the nationals, so I think I will have gotten it pretty dependable by then. I live in Atlanta, Ga., so I figure the drive in the 37 Super Eight would be about 16 hours, 2 days easy. My concern is leaving it in a parking lot, unprotected and OMG it could rain on the car!!! I have waited 35 years to get this car! I can't let that happen. Which, is why an open trailer from U-Haul will not do either. I know of one Packard club member here with a trailer, but I want him to go to the show, with his Packard too, so I want him to use his trailer. Thanks Gene, I did check online and did find a couple of trailer dealers that say that they rent trailers when available. I am going to try to call them tomorrow and see, even though it might be a bit early. Hope I see lot of you at the national meet!
Mark

westpeterson

Post by westpeterson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:36 am

Which national meet are you going to?
West Peterson
Dayton, Ohio
1940 Packard touring sedan, factory a/c

genehouse

Post by genehouse » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:22 am

menich07,

If you are really comfortable driving it why not do so and enjoy it as it was designed to do by cruising down the secondary roads and enjoying the ride? Buy yourself a GOOD car cover that will fit your car properly and put it on the car at night. During the day either keep it in your room or the trunk. When you get home keep it covered in the garage. You would not believe how much dust accumulates on your car and then gets wiped away by the wind while it is setting. This could help save your paint for a bit longer in pristine condition.

By the way, if anyone knows of someone coming from the OR/WA border around Tacoma, I need to find someone to bring my new 26 to me (sorry but I had to sneak that in).

Gene
1949 Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special
1926 Star 6
1926 Star Landau (still in AZ waiting for me to pick it up!)

If you are going to skate on thin ice, you might as well dance!