a judging question/proposal

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.
mrpushbutton

a judging question/proposal

Post by mrpushbutton » Mon May 03, 2010 5:20 am

How many individuals who judge at national meets are active on this forum? I have a question for any that may be active here: Could we establish a rolling thread for questions posted by members restoring their cars so that if an authenticity question comes up e.g. "underside of hood for a '53 Cavalier, body color or black"? "if Black, is it flat or semi-gloss"?
My logic/goal in this is: if you can tell me at a national meet that something is wrong/finished incorrectly and deduct points, why not tell me what is correct when I am in process of restoration, and save me the time and money. Some clubs, like the Lincoln Owners Club publish extensive authenticity manuals, that are basically adapted from the factory part books. They will take the exploded view of the engine and mark each part with what the club understands to be the authentic, original finish. Parts are marked "flat black", "cad plated", "engine color"-etc. and that is a great thing. We apparently aren't ready to go that far yet, that is always a case of manpower, and someone in the Lincoln club had the free time and felt compelled to do this.
I would just like to be able to post something like "Hey, I am getting ready to take my '48 Deluxe eight sedan to the body man, the previous owner spray-bombed the dash and steering column, how should those be finished"? obtain an answer from at least one of the judges from that category (series) of car and get it right the first tme.
Is this do-able?

Dave Czirr

Re: a judging question/proposal

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 am

I don't know the answer to your question about how many national judges visit this forum. I'm a real authenticity nut, so much so that if I ever did any serious judging I'd probably skew everything so it's best that I don't. But I really like the idea you are suggesting. If we get a reasonable response (or perhaps even if we don't) I'd consider creating a new Discussion topic just for questions of authenticity. Let's see what develops here first and then maybe we should have on off-line chat about how to get something going along those lines.

Great thought!

Dave

dmdelavan

Post by dmdelavan » Mon May 03, 2010 5:09 pm

Dave Czirr wrote:I don't know the answer to your question about how many national judges visit this forum. I'm a real authenticity nut, so much so that if I ever did any serious judging I'd probably skew everything so it's best that I don't. But I really like the idea you are suggesting. If we get a reasonable response (or perhaps even if we don't) I'd consider creating a new Discussion topic just for questions of authenticity. Let's see what develops here first and then maybe we should have on off-line chat about how to get something going along those lines.

Great thought!

Dave
I have long thought authenticity manuals a great idea; a neighbor has contributed heavily to same for the V-16 Cadillacs.
I have only been a national judge once and my knowledge is pretty well limitedto the1940 Super 8 but it would be productive and worthwhile to work with others on such a project.
Don Guttiing

mrpushbutton

Post by mrpushbutton » Tue May 04, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks guys, this is a very promising set of responses. I know of another club, who shall go unnamed, where "authenticity" and judging is a game. It goes something like this: "We 11 (or so) guys, who have known each other since 195X KNOW how these cars were built, and we will judge your car at our meet and deduct points where you have failed"
In general, I think it would serve recorded history best if the accumulated knowledge in an organization is recorded to hand down after we all shed this mortal coil, and the standards against which cars are judged are a matter of public record.
It's like playing baseball with someone with a different set of rules, and they don't really tell you this up front, but you do something you do in "regular" baseball and all of a sudden the Umpire throws your man out of the game.
This would also be a huge assist to commercial shops, many of which want to do the right thing, but can be limited as to how much research the customer is willing to pay for. In the most ideal circumstance a restoration shop carves out a niche in what they understand best, be it '55-'57 Chevy, T-Bird, Model A, etc. A lot of shops have to work on what the customer brings them, and having the correct finishes specified would save everyone a lot of time and money and aggravation.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat May 08, 2010 4:57 pm

With this thread in mind today, I saw the opportunity to document the wheel pinstripe on a very original 1938 Eight (a/k/a 120). I hope others pitch in with documentation of bona fide authentic details.
Attachments
38 Wheel 2 sm.jpg
38 Eight wheel sm.jpg