The 4th Henry Joy Tour

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.
Dave Czirr

The 4th Henry Joy Tour

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am

Who is going on the Henry Joy Tour this September, the 13th thru the 18th? It will be centered in Saratoga Springs, New York; these tours have proven wildly successful, well-organized and thoroughly enjoyable. The last I heard the accomodations were "sold out" but there can be cancellations, so if you're interested contact Chuck Flinchbaugh at 518-793-5571 or <cflinchbaugh@nycap.rr.com> for information.

Al Pressman

Re: The 4th Henry Joy Tour

Post by Al Pressman » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:41 pm

We (wife and I) will be attending the Henry Joy tour for the third time, Have yet to find fault with any of the activities and look forward to another enjoyable meet.

Al

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:09 am

Enclosed are some photos from the just completed Henry Joy IV tour, hosted by the North Atlantic Packards region and impeccably organized by Chuck & Janet Flinchbaugh. The locale was upstate New York, centered in Saratogo Springs and touring out each day in different directions, as far north as the Adironcack Mtn Park near Mt. Marcy, the headwaters of the Hudson River. This tour certainly set the "gold standard" for future events. Fifty-nine Packards were registered though some came and went during the week; delightfully about 50% were prewar cars, and a very suprising 4 cars were 1st thru 4th series cars! Also we had the pleasure of having 1 of only 2 known 734 Speedster roadsters as well as some others you would not ordinarily expect to find on tour! The bucolic secondary roads of upstate New York were beautiful and particularly well suited to older cars, venues visited were just terrific. Watch for a writeup in a future issue of PAC publications.
Attachments
HJ4 set 1.jpg
HJ4 set 2.jpg
HJ4 set 3.jpg
HJ4 set 4.jpg
HJ4 set 5.jpg

Clipper47

Post by Clipper47 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:30 am

Dave, Thanks for the photos. It seems like you had a marvelous time.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:37 am

Here are some additional photos courtesy of Mr. Ole Book. The speedboat is a replica of El Lagarto, the famous Packard-powered Gold Cup racer which by special arrangement came out and circled our excursion boat on Lake George. The venue with the gray 8th series club sedan in front is "Great Camp Sagamore" on Raquette Lake, a 27-building Vanderbilt estate in the rustic Adirondack style. Interesting to see the wealthy's idea of "roughing it". An interesting feature on that car is the Trico "Visonall" windscreen wiper, a feature that appeared on Cadillac, Pierce-Arrow and Packard for only a year or so.

Several of the Packards were models rarely seen, for example on the pier at Lake George sharp eyes will note a 22nd series Custom 8 club sedan.
Attachments
DSC01288.jpg
DSC01301.jpg
DSC01314.jpg
DSC01317.jpg
DSC01320.jpg

kev131

Post by kev131 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:19 am

Greetings from Ireland.

I just thought that I would register to add a few comments to your forum and in particular this event.

My wife and I were on a tour on New England and were in the Adirondacks on the day that your group were visiting a museum. A quick glance in the car park as I passed (as most touring car nuts do I guess) revealed a glittering car park of classics and we just had to stop (despite having a 4 hours drive ahead of us). I took photos of every single Packard that I saw and afterwards had a few informative words with Dave English where I had a potted history of the car company along with some tips on how to organise an event as successfully as you evidently achieved. In our own small way back in the "old country" we are just getting off the ground with our club for classic Fiats and a few "organisers tips" from Dave were very welcome.

Not being very knowledgeable about Amercian cars I was delighted to learn more about this classic marque. My favourites were probably the later models, expecially the ones with the gaping monster chromed grills and the sail boat tail fins - And those stylish white walls - Fantastic!

I've put together a small photo montage on youtube from the car park photos that I took - Primarily to share them with my own club buddies - I hope you enjoy them and you have a new fan of these cars. I wish you every luck in your club objectives and if you guys ever tour Ireland, you have a local on hand to help out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ayyMiFcKQ8

Our own website is http://www.131mirafiori.com if any of you have a hankering for cars from the land of piazza and pasta! :D

Clipper47

Post by Clipper47 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:48 am

Kev, Thanks for the postings and the youtube link! I guess you can be excused for misspelling Packard. :-)

ginab

Post by ginab » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Clipper47 wrote:Vegas Tour
Kev, Thanks for the postings and the youtube link! I guess you can be excused for misspelling Packard. :-)