PAC Judging Standards - tires/tubes

Event information, news of current or recent events, and judging questions.
34PackardGuy

PAC Judging Standards - tires/tubes

Post by 34PackardGuy » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:25 pm

I have noticed that the judging standard printed in the member's handbook and directory says that 1932 was the last year for metal inner tube valve stems. I believe that is clearly incorrect for at least the following reasons, and that metal valve stems were discontinued in the senior series with the introduction of the 1935 senior models, or perhaps during the 1934 model run but not at it's inception:

1. The 1933 -1936 parts manual has 4 cross-section pictures of wheel/tire/brakes assemblies; all 4 show metal valve stems on both the disc and wooden spoke wheels. There is no picture of the wire spoke wheel in the area of the valve stem.

2. There are many, perhaps a dozen or more, original factory photographs of 1934 model year cars which clearly show metal valve stems on wire spoke wheels. I'll attach just two of these, they show the metal stems and covers quite clearly.

3. Though the 1933-1936 parts book for Eights and Super Eights only shows a single part number for the painted or chrome wire spoke wheels, we have good evidence that the 1934 wheels differed from 1935 in the area of the opening in the rim for the valve stem. Unquestioned original 1934 wire spoke wheels have the valve stem opening as a simple punched hole in the rim, suitable for the flat retaining nut for a metal valve stem. In wheels purchased from a 1935 Eight, the hole is swedged outward in a tapered opening such as would be needed to support a rubber inner tube stem.

Interested in comments either way, please.
Attachments
1100 & 1200 Factory.JPG
34 1102 factory.JPG

PAC- CJ

Re: PAC Judging Standards - tires/tubes

Post by PAC- CJ » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks for clarification on the tube valve stems. I will point this out in the judges school in Gettysburg and make a correction in the next membership directory and on the web that in "1932 the first rubber valve stems became available." That statement does not mean that metal stems are not also acceptable just that no rubber stems are acceptable before 1932.

34PackardGuy

Re: PAC Judging Standards - tires/tubes

Post by 34PackardGuy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks CJ. If it were my decision to make I believe the evidence is solid to take it a step further and say rubber stems are incorrect prior to 1935 on the senior cars. Here's 3 more photos from the Packard photo archives, courtesy of the Michigan State University project the Making of Modern Michigan. There are perhaps another 30 photos showing the same thing, not a rubber stem in sight.
Attachments
34 1100 factory photo.jpg
34 Super 1104 formal.jpg
34 club at factory turntable.jpg