Radiator Cap loose on 1934 Packard 1100 series

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Payneangelfire

Radiator Cap loose on 1934 Packard 1100 series

Post by Payneangelfire » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:55 am

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I own a 1934 Packard Series 1100. In May of this year I bought a Comorant hood ornament made by Dan Sommers. Absolutely beautiful work. A true work of art.

My problem is I can’t get it to lock tight on the radiator. I have an original “flat” radiator cap that fits well and locks tight but wanted the Comorant hood ornament which was an option for the 1934 Series 1100. But it will not lock tight on the radiator.

In looking through the catalogue of Max Merritt Packard Parts I found a radiator cap rebuild kit for a 1934 Series 1100 and ordered it. I noticed in the picture of the part in the catalogue that the rebuild kit for the Comorant (unlike the kit for the Goddess of Speed) had a different piece that screwed into the top of my radiator. The radiator has a receptacle with squared off slots where the hood ornament screws into the radiator. My Comorant hood ornament has “points” that fit into the radiator receptacle and not squared off “ears.” The rebuild kit from Max Merritt Packard parts does have the correct squared off ears.
But even after installing the correct squared off ears part onto the bottom of the hood ornament it is still loose and will not lock tight on the radiator.

I compared the parts of the rebuild kit to the flat radiator cap that locks tight and they appear to be an exact match. I played with the spacing of the cap by adding and subtracting gaskets and washers on the all thread spindle and it is still loose.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John P.
#046050P

Payneangelfire

Re: Radiator Cap loose on 1934 Packard 1100 series

Post by Payneangelfire » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Gentlemen and Ladies,

I fixed the problem with the loose radiator cap. For a recap of the issue please read the previous post.

The solution was to call a close friend who is very mechanically inclined. After examining the new Comorant Hood Ornament mounted on a flat radiator cap (per the option for the 1934 Packard Series 1100) and comparing it to the "old" flat radiator cap that came with the car we were able to determine that the new cap extended about 1/8 inch farther out from the bottom of the radiator cap which meant it did not get enough purchase on the receptacle on top of the radiator to be able to snug the cap up tight. It stayed loose and ran the risk of falling off the car when driving down the road.

After trying multiple combinations of gaskets and washers the cap was still loose. The solution? We pulled out our trusty grinder. The base under the radiator cap that all the parts screwed into was about 1/8 inch higher than the old flat radiator cap. We simply ground down on either side of the screw hole to allow the metal cap, gaskets, and the part that screws into the receptacle to slide down another 1/8 inch. Once this was done the new Comorant Hood Ornament fit perfectly and is no longer loose.

Hope this helps anyone that has a similar problem.

John P. #046050P