Oil Pressure

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
cetaylor

Oil Pressure

Post by cetaylor » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:07 am

I am having a problem with my 1950 Super 8 327. The oil pressure has been running around 40-50 psi for the year that I have had the car. I noticed the pressure being erratic today. It would fall to 0 at low speed and then come back up when I increased the speed. I had a shop change the oil a week ago. They were supposed to put in 15/40 Rotella. On the off chance they put in something else I changed the oil myself when I got home. Now my gauge is showing 0 on start up. Is there a way to test the sending unit and the gauge? I know that I can put a mechanical gauge on to check the true oil pressure, but I would like to keep things stock. I have noticed since I got the car that the lifters are noisy on start up but quiet down after a few seconds of running. I know the 327 is supposed to have solid lifters, but I may have read that the cars with the Ultramatic transmission had hydraulic lifters. I am hoping that I haven't really lost all my oil pressure and that this is just an electrical snafu of some sort.

cetaylor

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by cetaylor » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:03 pm

I ended up trying again this afternoon to figure out my problem. I started the car up and backed out of my shop and by the time I had driven a hundred yards or so my oil pressure came up. It was normal after that and I drove 20 miles or so to confirm it. The oil that the oil change place put in must have been a very thin synthetic instead of the Rotella 15/40 that I asked for. In the future I will just change it myself.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:55 am

Good idea! 15-40 should be ideal for your engine. Strange though, that it messed around like that even with a thinner viscosity oil. I would continue to monitor the oil pressure for a while until you are fully confident in it again. You could, if you have one available, screw a mechanical gauge into the oil gallery in place of the electrical switch just to check the reading for a while. If all is well, reinstate the electrical switch.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

JD in KC

Post by JD in KC » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:19 am

In 1950, Packard did start to equip their Super Eight engines with hydraulic tappets. If your engine has them, it should have an 'F' suffix.