Bearing "crush", thin-wall inserts

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Dave Czirr

Bearing "crush", thin-wall inserts

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:32 am

After reading some comments on another automotive website today about bearing "crush", I thought these couple of pages from a vintage Glenn's Auto Repair Manual might be of interest. They give a good explanation and some important cautions. I hope they prove useful.
Attachments
bearing crush 2.jpg
bearing crush 1.jpg

Randy Berger

Re: Bearing "crush", thin-wall inserts

Post by Randy Berger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I knew close tolerances had to be maintained but thought that was only for oiling/lubrication.
I did not realize how closely cooling was linked to those dimensions.
Very good article. Who says you can't teach an old dog?

JWL115C

Post by JWL115C » Thu May 03, 2012 6:42 am

Question: Is the bearing crush a one time thing, or can it be repeated? The reason I ask is if it is a one time thing, then taking down rod or main caps to inspect the bearings and journal surfaces (as has been a long standing practice) would mean the bearing would not have the proper crush when the caps are reinstalled, and this would lead to accelerated bearing failure.

(o[]o)

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu May 03, 2012 7:17 am

Good question! Anyone else have a comment? I don't know with any high degree of certainty though I have on occasion removed shells from their caps to check numbers/size info on the backside, and replaced them again back into position without apparent ill effect.

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am

Removing and replacing the shells should not cause any problems. When the bearing cap is torqued up, what is happening is that the shell is "nipped" to prevent movement, it is not crushed as in a collapsible spacer.

I have removed shells for inspection and put them back many times, on many different engines without problems.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.