overdrive locked up

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
bobhattler

overdrive locked up

Post by bobhattler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:48 am

My OD, I recently purchased, was installed and the car would only roll forward. We pulled it out and reinstalled my original transmission.
I'll start to diagnosing to see if I can find the lockup. If anyone had a similar problem I would like some HELP.
Thanks,
Bobhattler

Howard56

Re: overdrive locked up

Post by Howard56 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 am

Believe you had a 40 or 41? Assuming you installed the R9 which would have been correct for the car, that reverse gear lockup was a problem and one of the reasons they changed to the R11 OD in mid 22nd series production. The even made R11 kits available for retrofit for some owners having persistent problems and wished to buy the upgrade. The R9 is basically a good unit but it relies on everything associated with it being in perfect working condition and all wear points and adjustments to spec.

If you have reprints of the Packard Service Counselors, read Vol 21 #15 of Aug 15, 1947. That details the problem, some causes, and one attempted solution. The solution was not entirely successful if other things were not to spec so they made the change to a mechanically different unit. While it says Clippers in the article title, it applies equally to ALL R9's installed from the start. If you don't have the literature, it is available for download at packardinfo.com in the literature section. I can't direct link so the article is in Literature & Manuals, under Service letters, Counselors and Bulletins, and then 1947 Packard Service Counselors.

Hopefully you did not try and force reverse motion while it was locked. That could have caused some internal damage.

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:55 am

I checked the transmission without the pall installed and the transmission was ok. The OD came out of a 41. I stuck a screwdriver into where the pall goes into the OD and the lockup occurred again. Does that mean the OD needs rebuilding?
1940 sedan conv.
Bobhattler

dmdelavan

Post by dmdelavan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 am

Climb under the car and on the right side of the gearbox is a large lever which needs to be pulled forward. Sometimes if the OD cable is pulled out while the car is idle and the clutch not engaged this will happen. It's a fast easy and cost free fix. If that's not it you may have larger problems.
Don Gutting

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:45 pm

I just talked to Herm the OD guy, and he said the solenoid must be installed with the pall energized foreword. This means it has to be done on the bench ahead of installing the transmission. Unfortunately I paid to have the original trans removed and then paid for the OD trans to be installed then paid for the OD trans to be removed and the paid for original to be reinstalled and then removing the original and then followed by reinstalling the OD with the solenoid correctly installed to avoid the lock up situation.
WTF
bobhattler

saltydog

Post by saltydog » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:05 pm

OK Lets go back to the begining. Your car will roll forward using the transmission in 1st,2nd and 3rd but has no reverse or will roll by pushing it by hand will roll forward and will not roll backwards at all?
If it's the former, has the OD been apart? If thats the case the lockout sleave may have been installed backwards.

Greg

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 am

I removed the solenoid and the OD trans worked fine on the bench. Tested the solenoid, no go. Ordered replacement from Herm the DO guy $170. He told me of the trick how to get the solenoid in to prevent no reverse gear. It has to be energized and the pall fully extended then turned and pushed home and then tighten the bolts.

I wish I had known this before I took out my transmission installed the OD then took out the OD and re installed my transmission and now, I will have to take out my transmission again to install OD for the final time, maybe.

My rebuilt engine won't start.

Other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

It's not been a good week for me. Thanks for your help.
bob

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:06 am

Good news that your got the OD figured out. Though the R11 unit is improved, nothing wrong with a properly operating R9, the one in my 48 Custom 8 performed perfectly for the 20 years I had the car and has continued to do so for the current owner for another 15 years or so.

Could be many reasons for a freshly rebuilt engine to not start, but one of the most common is failure to get the ignition properly timed; this can occur if the oil pump gear didn't engage in the same position it was removed in and if this is the case, no need to remove the oil pump to correct, it can all be done at the distributor cap. Easiest way to check is remove #1 spark plug, rotate the engine until piston #1 comes up on the compression (not the exhaust) stroke using your finger over the plug hole to feel the compression building. Stop at or close to the timing mark. At that point the rotor should be directly under the #1 plug wire. If not, just walk the wires around the cap in the firing order and rotational direction (1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4).

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:15 am

Thanks Dave, we got the car started by towing. It appears to have bad timing as you mentioned, no power, over heats and exhaust note is loud. It will be several weeks before we can put the OD back in as we are awaiting a new solenoid. I suspect we will find the relay non operational also.
Bob

bobhattler

Post by bobhattler » Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 am

Just completed the installation of the solenoid. Ran all the gears, no lockup. Awaiting the final pull lever to install under the dash and we will then install the overdrive transmission. I can hardly wait to let the rebuilt Packard out on the highway.
Bob Hattler