Correct Pump Packing

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
autoluke

Correct Pump Packing

Post by autoluke » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:12 am

Need to know the most effective water pump packing for my 640.

The adjusting nut seems to be at the end of the travel. .

Phil

Dave Czirr

Re: Correct Pump Packing

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:00 am

Sounds like you need to add new packing. It is graphited packing and sold either in OEM-type preformed split rings or in spools of cord that you can wrap and stuff into place. The latter is sold in most all plumbing supply houses and is an entirely satisfactory replacement, and there is a source for the former advertised in Hemmings Motor News. I've aways used the continuous cord packing, cut suitable length(s) and pack into the cavity and use the packing nut to form it into the appropriate shape. You can do the job with the pump in place though it's a lot easier to do if the pump is removed which also gives you a chance to inspect/renew the bearings and seals. If I have one available I'll post a cutaway picture of a similar pump from 32-36 which shows details, in any case a simple and easy job. If the shaft is in good condition and free of burrs or other defects a fresh packing job should be good for 50,000 miles or more with just an occasional adjustment. If you need the special wrench to adjust the packing nut it may still be available from York Restorations; otherwise MSC in Harrisburg has quite an array of pump wrenches.
Attachments
34 Water Pump detail.jpg

autoluke

Post by autoluke » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:25 am

Thanks Dave... just ordered a foot of 1/4" impregnated via ebay.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:31 am

A 25 foot roll at the local plumbing store is less than $20, if you need more let me know, I have plenty of extra to spare.

autoluke

Post by autoluke » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:30 am

Dave

One more question...

Should the packing be cut into small sections, and then installed as a series of washers might be, or as a spiral fit ?

Phik

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:24 am

First I just wound a continuous spiral into the cavity with what I thought was enough but after compressing it with the packing gland I needed to add another smaller length. It's held up well, been doing it's job for perhaps 40,000 miles so I can't think of a reason to do it otherwise.

Dave

autoluke

Post by autoluke » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:36 am

THANKS DAVE...I'LL GIVE IT A WHIRL.