RADIATOR FOR 37 PACKARD

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
CORSASEVEN

RADIATOR FOR 37 PACKARD

Post by CORSASEVEN » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello, I have a 1937 Packard 6 cylinder. I like to keep my car stock, it is a nice driver and I do like to drive it often. I need a new radiator and was advised by a Packard owner a few years ago to go with a more modern higher volume core.I hate to deviate from originality but I need a radiator that has good cooling capacity as we know our cars tend to run a little hot. Any suggestions and recommendations for having my radiator recored . Thank you in advance for any help.

34PackardGuy

Re: RADIATOR FOR 37 PACKARD

Post by 34PackardGuy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:01 pm

This should be a pretty routine job for any good radiator job. Quite a few folks have the original 3-row core replaced with a 4-row core for a little extra cooling reserve. Cost can vary quite a bit I guess, but in the Northeast I'd think about $500 or so would be a reasonable cost.

On the other hand, if the radiator has an acceptable flow rate and is in good condition, bring the rest of your cooling system up to snuff will usually solve an overheating issue. Water pump and distribution tube, fan belt condition and fit, thermostat and the like should be checked, as well as a check for dragging brakes, undersize exhaust pipe, muffler, tail pipe, retarded igntion timing and things like that. I'd go thru my car and first check all of these issues before I'd recore the radiator to a 4-row, unless of course the radiator is already in bad condition.

Hope this helps - let us know of your progress and best of luck with your Packard - we hope to see you back here often.

PS - you might also consider a good flush. The very best types are two-part: the first contains oxalic acid which has the ability to solubilze insoluble iron salts, and the second part is sodium carbonate or bicarbonate which is used in a subsequent step as a neutralizer for the acid in step 1. These types are far more effective that the standard stuff or other household stuff like dishwasher detergent.

CORSASEVEN

Post by CORSASEVEN » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Thank you 34 Packard guy, WOW 1934 was hands down the most beautiful Packard ever !!!!! Thanks for your reply on the 37 radiator. In all fairness to my Packard the radiator has obstruction and needs to be recored, again Thank you for your help.

flackmaster

Post by flackmaster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 am

There are really only 2 options - referred to a V-Cell and Horizontal fin (honeycomb is cost prohibitive). Pro's and cons to both will be explained by your radiator shop. Price is usually within a hundred bucks. The V-Cell looks like what you would expect, and the horizontal fin is a bit more industrial looking - number of "rows" is not as important as cooling capacity, however, actual technicals numbers when ordering a custom core is exceptionally hard to come by, and if anyone has any, I'd like to know. Either way, only one size core will fit your tanks, so its not like you will be overly confused with options. (IIRC the 1/4" difference 115c/120 (3.125/3.375 is no longer something to get technical about as only one size core will be available, 3.250 I think...) Be sure to use a shop that is talented with the flat seam soldering required - the lower tank is a real B$#%*!! around the hose connection. Please report back pricing as I suspect $500 is on the low side. I haven't done a 37 radiator in a couple years, but then it was more in the 700+ range.

CORSASEVEN

Post by CORSASEVEN » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Flackmaster, Thank you for your reply. Sorry its been so long ago since I first posted this. I plan on having radiator work done sometime at the beginning of January. I will let you know what it costs. Thank you again for your help.