1929 Transmission Noise in Second Gear

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
autoluke

1929 Transmission Noise in Second Gear

Post by autoluke » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 am

Although running smoothly in first and third gears, my transmission shifter actually vibrates in second.

I realize that a transmission "whine" is normal in this series, the fact that I can feel a vibration in the stick leads me to believe that a bearing might have failed.

Any ideas ?

Adam

Re: 1929 Transmission Noise in Second Gear

Post by Adam » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 am

I agree. You probably have a bad bearing in the box. Or possibly a broken gear tooth, but more likely the former.

Since the vibration only occurs in second, it may be the bushing that allows second gear to spin on the mainshaft, or one of the bearings that support the layshaft. However, it is also important to check for wear in the selectors and detents. Excess wear could allow the box to attempt to engage two gears at once.

A further indicator would be to drain the gear oil and look for evidence of metallic particles in the oil. These gearboxes are quite simple, so should be reasonably straightforward to rebuild.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.