35 120 kingpins

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
flatbackpac120

35 120 kingpins

Post by flatbackpac120 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 pm

My 35 120 sedan has 68000 original miles on it. I've owned it for the last 23 years. The other day I jacked it up to pull a front wheel and discovered a huge amount of looseness in both kingpins. I've never seen kingpins worn as bad. I'm wondering if the bushings have totally disintegrated as there is lots of movement in every direction.This makes me wonder if the bushings were sintered brass and couldn't take the load.
So I have a king pin kit for it now. Is this the kind of job that I can do in my backyard shop? I'm fairly handy but I want to know what's going to be involved.
Any comments??
Thanks
Ken
Attachments
35Packard1.jpg

Dave Czirr

Re: 35 120 kingpins

Post by Dave Czirr » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:01 am

It wouldn't be unusual to find king pins getting slightly loose and requiring replacement at perhaps 80,000 miles or more. But from your descrption of premature looseness I'd guess that for some period in the car's past they weren't lubricated regularly, Packard specified greasing every 1,000 miles and properly lubricated they had a very long service life. I'm not certain about the '35 120 king pin arrangement, the "senior" cars and somewhat later 120s were equipped with a pair of roller bearings and an antimony/lead thrust bearing though I believe the earlier junior cars used bronze bushings. Yes, a handy person with a reasonable selection of tools can do the job but if bushed you may need tools to burnish (don't ream) the bushings to size. Thrust bearings should be adjusted to a preload of 3-1/2 to 5 lbs of pull at the spindle end, adjustment for thrust is by shims. The 1935 "120" shop manual has been in reproduction for a very long time and perhaps you should purchase a copy, lots of good information therein.

flatbackpac120

Post by flatbackpac120 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks for your advise Dave. I'll pick up the 35 repair manual as suggested.
Ken

Mr_Rich

Post by Mr_Rich » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:32 am

I found this post in reference to kingpins. The 1941 120 I'm working on has about 1/8" to 3/16" up and down play on the pass. side kingpin. The drivers side seems okay to me with very little up and down play. There's no lateral slop to speak of. I'm wondering if it's possible to tighten that play up. I'm still working on the brakes. I talked to Doc last night that I'd prefer to remove the backing plates to clean them up and he offered his blasting cabinet. (!!!!) He$$ yessss... I had those things off in 20 min. and spent over two hours blasting them clean. I found out old layers of grease don't blast off well but rust doesn't stand a chance. But anyway, I need some help with that kingpin issue.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:50 am

Is the thrust bearing missing on the passenger side? To have that much play it sounds like its missing but that's unheard of. For that matter up and down play is unheard of as well, unless perhaps the result of devastating collision damage. Take a good look and maybe some photos, whatever is causing the play should be blatantly apparent.

Mr_Rich

Post by Mr_Rich » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:48 pm

This car has been owned by Doc for forty years. He said it was one of the first classics in his collection. It hasn't had any crash or collision damage that I can detect. It has suffered a bit from sloppy mechanic work. I'm trying to fix that part of the issue. I scraped and wire-brushed some of the caked grease off the parts and it appears that there are caps upper and lower in the kingpin area and I don't see any kind of tab or opening to lever them out or detect some kind of adjustment. I'll try to take some pics.