Rear shock 1940 160

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
lc3packs

Rear shock 1940 160

Post by lc3packs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Our 1940 160 is a little bumpy and it seems to sag a little to the left. I think the rear shocks are shot and have no clue how long they have been there since we have not owned it that long. I had a similar situation on my 47 Custom and new gas filled rear shocks made a world of difference. Anyone know a brand and number for gas filled shocks for this application? Could take them off and get parts man to match but if he can't the car is disabled. Might they be the same as the ones on our 47? Thanks, Tommy

Adam

Re: Rear shock 1940 160

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 am

Hello Tommy

It sounds as though your rear springs are sagging. At 75 years old, they have every right to be. The proper cure for your car would be to remove the rear road springs and to have them re-tempered and the camber re-set. Alternatively, you could fit new ones from one of the main parts suppliers.

Your car would be transformed by the difference this will make.

Fitting gas filled dampers (shocks) will not fix the problem, although it may mask the symptoms by providing a lot of resistance to both 'bump' and 'rebound'. It certainly will not correct the uneven ride height that you are experiencing (sagging to the left). Ultimately, your sagging springs will suffer broken leaves, if they have not done so already, so replacement is the only safe option and presumably will ne necessary for your annual roadworthiness inspection.

I would recommend that you fit new springs and correct (standard?) dampers to restore the correct ride and handling. These may not cost much more than gas filled replacement dampers. Then you will see the need to replace the front too !!!

I hope that this helps.
Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Re: Rear shock 1940 160

Post by Tinman_70 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:17 am

If you are looking for currently available shock absorbers, the following site from Monroe gives the specifications for the mounting and lengths for all Monroe shocks. This is the 2013 PDF file and unlike prior ones, the mounting type codes are on the last couple of pages rather than at the front. This you help you or your mechanic find a suitable replacement. Probably should also heed Adam's advice regarding work that might be required for the springs.

Good luck.

http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/ ... hSheet.pdf
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook