34 1100 standard 8 transmission

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
pete perusse

34 1100 standard 8 transmission

Post by pete perusse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 am

Pops out of 2nd & 3rd, also the syncro is not right between 1st&2nd and 2nd & 3rd. Completely cleaned, all bearings replaced. I have read everything I can find, have had several "experts" look at it when disassembled (twice). The sliding gear is not the later "fix" as indicated in the Packard bulletin of that era. I tried adjusting the rear freeplay as Packard describes (they tell you that can be done this without removing the trans) by installing shim washers it did not adjust as they said it would. the unit is quiet, and works as it should except as I have described. I can drive it as is but after all the years of restoration! Thanks Pete

Dave Czirr

Re: 34 1100 standard 8 transmission

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 am

My experience with this transmission (essentially the same 1932 thru 1938) is with the one in my 34 1100, and a spare that I had, since sold. Never had a problem popping out of gear but gradually at about 88,000 miles the 1st-2nd synchro became pretty ineffective; this was corrected by shiming as per the factory service letters. One bearing was replaced. These transmissions are so overbuilt and bullet-proof that about all I can suggest is that you take it down and double-check everything a second time - there certainly has to be something obvious.

Hoping someone comes along that actually has experienced a problem with these transmissions and can offer specific causes and corrections.

dlohnstad

Post by dlohnstad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:05 pm

I have a 1934 1101. The transmission jumps out of high gear if coasting downhill. Anyone have the new improved gear # 190401 with the word FRONT stamped on it?
Don

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Don,

Are you sure your trans is properly adjusted and free of excessive wear and slop? My '34 Eight doesn't have the "improved" gear and in tens of thousands of miles of driving has never popped out of gear.

Who have you checked with thus far for the gear?

GJBINSC

Post by GJBINSC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 am

Dave: Speaking of 32 trans, and the syhcro, should you be able to downshift these transmissions ? Mine is fine going up, but will always grind coming down, even double clutching does not work. Is this common ? or repairable ?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:31 am

1932 was a bit of a complex year for Packard transmissions as the new 3-speed synchro was introduced but as there was initially insufficient availability for all models, the Light Eight and Twin Six got the new unit from the start and the others either had the 4-speed synchro or the holdover 1931 transmission until availability matched demand. So to answer your question we'd need to know which transmission is involved.

However, for downshifting the synchro transmissions had synchro only on the higher gears. So for example if you have the 3-speed, all upshifts are synchronized and you can downshift from 3rd to 2nd via synchronized action, but not from 2nd to 1st. If you can't do that, either your synchronizers are out of adjustment, or excessively worn. Synchronizer adjustment is covered in the 1933/1934 Service Letters. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the 4-speed synchro unit which was a partial year only offering.

BTW, not being able to double clutch is much more likely just the driver's failure to match speeds of the engaging gears than a transmission problem.

GJBINSC

Post by GJBINSC » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:35 am

Yea, mine is a 4 speed but I don't use 1st as recommended by Packard for regular driving. As I said, it works great going up, but not down. I wait till very low speed, then pause in neutral, then ease it into 3rd, a little grind, but it does go in.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:45 am

Do you not blip the throttle a little bit whilst in neutral with the clutch up, mid gearshift? That speeds up the layshaft and allows the lower gear speed to synchronise with the mainshaft, giving a silent change. 8-)
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

GJBINSC

Post by GJBINSC » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:01 am

Thanks Adam, I will try that. Car is up on stands now, so it may be a couple of weeks before I can test that.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:16 am

The co-ordination comes with practice. I first learned it aged about 10 around the yard! There are probably youtube clips showing how to do it too.

Essentially, on a downshift, run the car down to the speed required for the lower gear, then dip the clutch, shift into neutral, release the clutch, give a small 'rev' on the throttle pedal, dip the clutch again and select the lower gear. With practice you learn to match the speeds and revs required for an instant silent shift. For me, that is one of the most satisfying things about driving a 1920s car.

If the pedals are spaced well enough (they might not be), you can do all the above whilst braking steadily at the same time. That is called 'heel and toe'. I use that routinely in my 1928 Alfa and in modern cars too.

If your car has freewheeling, like my 1935 Desoto, you can change up or down without the clutch, just shifting when the speeds are right. I give a blip of the throttle on downshifts to help the synchros out and it works fine.

Hours of fun !! :-)
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.