Overdrive not engaging

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
Olivierdejong

Overdrive not engaging

Post by Olivierdejong » Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello.
My 1947 super clipper club sedan is fitted With the 356 and overdrive.
I brought the car with overdrive "on" and used it with pleasure. But one day I put it "off" to gain some engine brake, on idle as Iwas told. But ever since I cannot engage it anymore. I push the knob, the green light comes but when I release the pedal, it does not engage the overdrive. Does anyone have an idea or à technical description? The previous owner engaged it manually from under the car, but I do not know which fork he moved... And as I must go to Germany for the Euro Packard met 2017, I'd like to engage it... Thanks in advance. Olivier
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669
Packardclubbelgium@yahoo.com

Howard56

Re: Overdrive not engaging

Post by Howard56 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Here is a crude photo of what to look for under the car. On the right or passenger side, look for the lever on the side of the OD. There should be the end of the cable attached to the lever and housing is clamped onto the cross member near the transmission mount so it will be almost a straight approach as shown by the purple line.

When you push the knob in for OD the cable will move the lever toward the rear. It should travel to approximately the angle shown by the green line. When the knob is pulled out to lock out OD the cable pulls the lever to about the angle shown by the red line. If not moving at all you have a disconnect or a cable problem. To manually engage the OD from under the car the lever needs to move to about the green line area and wired so it says there.
Attachments
IMG_0549.jpg

Olivierdejong

Post by Olivierdejong » Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Very clear answer, thank You.
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669

Olivierdejong

Post by Olivierdejong » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 am

Hello. 'Me again...

What if the green light fires up, I release the accelerator, and then the overdrive does not engage the upper gear?
I have no motor brake, hence I assume that the lever must be in green position...
Possibly a simple electric problem that I could attempt to solve by myself or a specific part to renew?
If not I'll have to cover 400 miles to the euro-Packard meet in Germany tomorrow on a slow speed. What is allowed in third as a speed? 55mph?
Thank you for the answer.

Olivier
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 am

I have several friends with 356 engined Packards without overdrive and they seem to comfortably cruise on long trips at 60 mph.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 am

The light means the governor has reached speed, its contacts have closed and brought in the relay. It does not mean the solenoid has pulled in however. You didn't say if the light ever went out even after trying to go into OD so if it is staying on that would indicate the solenoid is not moving far enough to open a set of contacts and extinguish the light -- or bring in OD. Aside from not getting voltage, there is a set of contacts in the solenoid pull in coil circuit which could be faulty resulting in no action from the solenoid. There could also be a mechanical problem in the OD preventing its operation.

As a quick test, with the car sitting still and engine off, ground terminal 5 of the relay. That should cause the relay box to give a small click, the green light to come on, and a clunk come from under the car as the solenoid tries to come in. The clunk is usually loud enough to hear from above but if the solenoid plunger is mechanically blocked and unable to travel very far it may not be loud enough and you will have to go under to verify it is active. If you do not hear the clunk I would check the voltages at the solenoid. To bring in the relay for the voltage check while under the car, if the knob is in & kickdown switch is closed, you can ground the governor wire at the center exposed terminal on the governor to bring in the solenoid. If there is no voltage on terminal 4 (and 3) possibly an inline connector located roughly near the frame and under the drivers feet or a wire is open. If you have voltage and no action then the solenoid could need servicing.

Here are a few photos and other OD info.
Attachments
R9 Relay1.jpg
R9 solenoid terminals.jpg
R9 Schematic.jpg
OD001.jpg
OD002.jpg
Governor bottom.jpg

Olivierdejong

Post by Olivierdejong » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Waow, I could not expect a more complete answer, thank you.
Actually I turned the OD button and then it worked fine ever since. But I didn't dare to unswitch it until the end of my 1000 miles trip.
But I'll control this as well, it'll help me to understand my car a bit better.
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:15 pm

With the symptom in the other post of the light coming on but no OD it is puzzling when you say you turned the OD button and it worked. Do you mean you turned the knob under the dash and OD started working? If that is a yes, when you get home check the switch on the back of the lockout knob bracket under the dash. That is the lockout switch and I would not be surprised if you find the plunger is worn which results in the switch being very erratic -- although if the switch is not closed the light will not come on. If that is not what you meant please elaborate on what you turned.

To check the switch, disconnect the wires and remove the switch. It is always a good idea to disconnect the battery when working under the dash but on the R9 the switch is in the ground side so other than being careful not to touch anything else under the dash there is no need to disconnect the battery. On the R11 switch will have power if the ign key is on. When the switch is out, look for a groove in the bottom of the plunger. If there is none or a very tiny groove then that switch is not the likely problem unless for some reason the knob is screwed on too far preventing the shaft from going all the way into the bracket or something is binding in the cable with the same result. The switch works on a ramp at the end of the shaft and if the knob and shaft doesn't go all the way back, the ramp doesn't raise the plunger high enough to close the switch.

If there is a groove similar to the one in this photo there are two options. One is if the small lockwasher between the switch and the bracket is still present that washer can be removed and the switch reinstalled so it sits a tiny bit lower. That lets the plunger raise a bit more and should be the end of troubles for quite some time. If the washer has already been removed then at the present time I believe the only option is to find a better switch.
Attachments
IMG_0138.jpg

Olivierdejong

Post by Olivierdejong » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi. I never answered your comment: been solved through a simple rescrew of a little screw under the dash. Too simple to think of it at first glance... ever since it runs fine. best regards.
Olivier Dejong
+32 477 308 669