1948 Super Shifting Issue

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
WDHaskins

1948 Super Shifting Issue

Post by WDHaskins » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 pm

All:

Need help. Gladys isn't shifting right. Has been this way for several years, but I've finally had enough of it. Sticks in a gear and won't shift out. Sometimes sticks in neutral and won't go in to a gear. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, when I am gently shifting it is just as prone to happen as when I am forcefully shifting. Sometimes I can unjam it by exerting a lot of force, other times, it is just stuck. Then I get my mechanic involved, who is a lot smarter than I on such things. My mechanic, who takes care of her, says that the linkage jams, he then reaches in and manually moves part of it and then it shifts fine again, until problem happens again. Now, I know Mr. Packard didn't issue this fine automobile with a mechanic under the hood to do this. And my mechanic can't seem to get it fixed. And don't slam my mechanic, he's a friend of mine, but I pay him $50/hour and this is getting expensive.

What is the cure? Does the shift linkage wear and have to be rebuilt? Is there someone who does this? Does the shift linkage need to be taken out, cleaned and oiled? I just know someone has been down this road before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Walt Haskins
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Dave Czirr

Re: 1948 Super Shifting Issue

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed May 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Yes, the linkage can wear and easily get out of adjustment. Your query is so common, might I suggest you try the search feature both here a d on http://www.packardinfo.com, you'll probably find dozens and dozens of posts about this problem. I hope you understand, it's such a common question it gets hard to continue to give the same comprehensive answer time after time.

If you don't easily find exactly what you need, let us know and go from there.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Does the shift linkage wear and have to be rebuilt? Is there someone who does this? Does the shift linkage need to be taken out, cleaned and oiled?
Yes, the linkage wears. Typically at the rod ends but occasionally the bushings too. If the car still has any rubber bushings that were not changed to steel also make sure they are intact and in good condition. The bushings and support holding the idler assy on the side of the engine is another spot. That assy needs to be stable when you shift gears and worn support bushings lets the idler levers and assy wobble and lose some of the linkage motion. Proper linkage adjustment is another big one..

In that link to Packardinfo Dave provided in the last post, on the page that opens at pinfo there is a menu on the left side. Select Packard Service Index and on it's page, in addition to 48-50 also check transmission and overdrive for the 41-47 Clipper. The Clipper transmission and linkage is virtually identical to 48-50. There is a lot of service articles relating to shifting issues or maladies of Clippers that is relevant to your car.

One thing that is not mentioned anywhere is lubrication of the lever assy at the base of the steering column. There is a small hole in the side of the shift tube that needs a few drops of oil. At the top of the upper 2-3 shift lever, also place a few drops between the lever and C clip washer arrangement so it can run down the shaft and into the space under the lever.

WDHaskins

Post by WDHaskins » Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 am

Dave:

I'm not finding even after searching the "comprehensive reply" that would explain what to do. You said to reply if I didn't, and I don't. Perhaps I'm not doing the search correctly, but would appreciate the advice.

Walt

WDHaskins

Post by WDHaskins » Fri May 26, 2017 4:49 am

Dave:

Thanks! Also, Max Merritt has a bushing kit available to rebuild the shift linkage, I've ordered one, we'll see how it works. Between replacing the bushings and proper lubrication, surely Gladys will shift as she did when she left the factory!

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Good Evening all...We also had the shifting problem of finding ourselves stuck between gears or stuck in second gear in our 1949 Deluxe. We did rework the linkage a bit with some improvement. However what finally made 'Miss Prudence' behave like a proper Packard was changing to Master Pro Chemicals GL-4 - SAE 140 Gear Oil which according to the container is a 'High Performance Extreme Pressure Gear Lubricant'. Since we made the change, the old girl shifts like a dream in all six gears! Previously, she had a multi grade oil in the transmission and shifted like an ancient Winton! Good Luck...Ernie