engine rebuild

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
bakerallen

engine rebuild

Post by bakerallen » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:25 pm

I think I am going to need a rebuild for my 47 Clipper. I think I remember someone telling me Jasper engines would rebuild an engine if it were sent to them. The usual procedure would be to buy a rebuild engine and then send them the old one, but it is not very likely they will have a Packard engine on hand. Has anyone had any experience with Jasper. They seem to be very popular in my area.

Lopezga

Re: engine rebuild

Post by Lopezga » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm

Allen,

Did you ever receive any related replies..

Thanks
Gilbert

DrMorbius

Post by DrMorbius » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm guessing he didn't............................

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. I gave up on the Jasper engine idea. I did contact them, but after messaging back and forth several times I gave up. They do have a department that specializes in old, odd ball engines, but We just never seemed to connect properly. Jasper is a very popular engine rebuilder in my area, and I believe in general they do excellent work. My problem was that my motor was too old be fit into their regular program. I am having the engine rebuilt locally with the most complete kit from Kanter. It will probably be installed in the car next week. I am really looking forward to driving it.
On a different subject: The undercarriage of the car is dry and in good condition, with the exception of a oil leak at the back of the transmission. I once owned an old buick with the Dynaflo and no matter what I did it still leaked at the back end of the tranny. Am I just looking at old dry seals here, or is this a common problem with Packards and I should just live with it?

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Not a design weakness, you need to reseal the transmission if you want to fix the problem.

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for the informaton