oil leaks

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
bakerallen

oil leaks

Post by bakerallen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:12 am

I recently had the motor on my 47 clipper rebuilt. It sounds fine, except for a miss which I think a ordinary tune up will fix. I also have a problem with oil leaks. I don't think the person doing the overhaul did anything wrong. He has been doing this for years and has a good reputation. Has anyone else had this problems, and if so how did you fix it.

Adam

Re: oil leaks

Post by Adam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 am

Well it really depends on where the leaks are coming from. They need to be identified and dealt with in turn. Can you be more specific?
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Tinman_70

Post by Tinman_70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:53 am

Park the car and place a large piece of cardboard under the engine. The oil spots should pinpoint where the leaks originate.
Dare to be Different - Buy and Build Packards!
Member:
Packard Automobile Classics
packardclub.org
packardinfo.com
Series 22/23 Packard Group on Facebook

bakerallen

Post by bakerallen » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:08 am

just back of the oil pan on the drain plug end there is a heavy plate, that is where the oil is leaking of the floor. Would this be motor, or oil from the transmission? The oil in the motor is fresh, and the dipstick shows full.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 am

Sounds like the sump gasket has not fitted properly, or needs tightening. Worth checking that the studs are snug all round the pan.

Otherwise, and much harder to cure, is that the rear main seal is leaking. That is a rope seal around the crank, but there are also small sealing roads between the main bearing cap and the block. Either could be the problem. If it is the rear main, the seal can be replaced in the car, by dropping the crank a little, but it is a pain to do.

How much oil is actually being lost?

Definitely check the sump gaskets and sump bolt tightness first.
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.